Just said Goodbye

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Today was a tough day.

Ben was a good boy, and a great big brother to Zach. Unfortunately, his body was just not up to the task anymore. To see him laying around you would have thought he was fine. Truth was, he couldn't hardly get himself standing anymore.

In any event this morning we made the decision this morning to put him down. I called the vet and arranged a time(damn hard phone call) and then when the time came, we all(Squeaks, Rooster, son Nick, his girlfriend, Paula, and myself) took him to the vet and were there for his last moments.

He was laid to rest on the farm, next to some other great puppies that had gone before him.

I'm going to miss that old boy. Gonna miss him a bunch :(

Attachments

• big_brother2.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 137
  • romping1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 142

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Been there done that PK and it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. I can look out the window as I type this and see the tree next to where Kirby the best dog ever rests and get a little misty eyed. Blitz just came over in my little moment of not typing and gave me the look like he knew what I was thinking so ya' swear you don't ever want to do it again and then next thing ya' know you have another puppy.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Sorry to hear. I know that is one of the toughest decisions a guy may ever make. I always find at least a little solice knowing that you gave the pup the best life they could have had.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
So sorry to hear that Keith. That unconditional love that a dog gives is hard to match in humans and it makes it that much harder when the pass :(

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sorry, PK. Always tough to lose a family member. :(

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dang it, sorry to hear that PK.

Great times around the fire in your back yard a few years back watching him bite at the fire!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks guys. It sucked, but it was the right thing to do for Ben.
On a lighter note:
While were were waiting on the vet Saturday, Ben was laying on the ground outside, and the Vets cat decided to walk past. Ben was having none of that, dragged himself to standing and "chased"(really a slow wobbly walk) the cat. He actually got close enough that the cat turned around and swatted at him before I could stop the pursuit. He was is such a weak state, yet he couldn't resist one more chase. Talk about being hard wired :)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Ben did indeed live a great life. He is missed by all of us. His whimsical ways will be remembered forever.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Sorry to all the OK family :( Tony I thought of the exact same thing, I have a bunch of pics of Ben playing "chase the embers" lol.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Papa
I am so sorry for your families loss but as you said you made the right decision and to go any longer would have been a disservice to a great friend. Hope there is an ample supple of cats to be chased where he is.

My wife wants to go see Marley and me when it comes out and realistically after reading the book I don't know I can watch it knowing how it ends. I saw way to much of each and every dog I have ever lived with (can never really say owned as I am not sure who was the boss at times) of the dog in the story.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…