MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I've thinking about getting into vintage racing for awhile now. If I can hopefully this summer i'm gonna try and get a 74 YZ or CR 125. Parts don't look like they'd be that hard to get? From what i understand its been basically the cosmetic stuff thats been hard to get. Was there any flaws to the two bikes mentioned?

Joe
vintage newbie spode "I'm not worthy"

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Go to the AHRMA web site (ahrma.org) and become a member, visit the online classifieds and so on. I've been racing vintage for the past 5 years, and also function (barely) as an AHRMA midwest coordinator. The two bikes you mention are widely available, especially the Honda, which is also the better bike in my opinion. You can find everything you need, parts and cosmetics, without much effort. I'd be glad to answer any of your questions if you want to email me directly at markthomps@juno.com.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
If you try it, you will be hooked. Like Mark, I've been doing it also for 5 years. Great bunch of people, and the racing is FUN.
I just happen to be in SteamBoat in 95, and found out they where racing that day, went and watched, bought my kx450 1 month later!
---------------
74-KX450 (2)
ROKON 350 BRIDGESTONE SCRAMBLE
ROAD TOAD 98 YZ450F

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I'd like to race all ready so this should be good. I'd like to use it to help me get better overall. Anyone know if there's a series that allows you race mid 80's bikes here in washington? I have this trick 86 CR125, with some tlc it could give new bikes a run for thier money.

Joe
'01 CR125R
'86 CR125R

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Go to both the AHRMA web site and the VMX magazine site for links to races in the PacNW. There's a lot of it (it seems) up your way and there's an AHRMA National at Chehalis in August. The VMX site has a Links page that includes one or two for the PacNW vintage groups.

Vintage mx will make you a better rider. You get more track time (well, so long as the bike keeps running, but that's another story . . .) at an AHRMA or other vintage event than you'll ever get at a mod bike race. Usually longer motos too, longer practices and of course you're much closer to the ground : ) Also, the shorter suspension on the early 70s bikes means you learn to read and ride terrain better than with mod bikes that just blitz over every dang thing.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Top Bottom