babycleatus

Oct 19, 2004
:think: I ve ridden sport qwads and dune buggies all of my life and am trying to decide wether to get a 2002 kdx 200 or a 2001 kx 250. I mostly trail ride but i want to be able to jump some w/o bottoming out the kdx's old school suspension. I also worries me that the KDX has not been changed any sience 1995. what should I do? (remember im new to the sport)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The kdx would be something good to start with in a woods situation.

The kx would be handful'o-tiger-by-the-tail...in a woods situation.

The two bikes are so hugely different, the choice shouldn't be that hard. If you're after one bike that will do both woods and track expertly...you'll end up with something that does neither very well.

Bottoming out any suspension isn't so much a matter of 'old school' as it is not properly setting up your suspension in the first place. The suspension travel between the two bikes isn't hugely different...it's not like the kdx has 4" and the kx has 15".

Set your suspension up for jumping and it will beat you to death in the woods....probably.

The underhang of the conventional kdx forks is a bummer.

Make a reasonable decision based on what you are going to be doing. Saying, 'I want to ride single track woods on Saturday and SuperCross on Sunday,' is just plain silly.

Rob1111

Aug 15, 2004
CanynCarvr brought up some good points. If your sticking to really technical tight stuff I'd go with a kdx. If the trails are not to challenging and you want to ride a track aggressively I'd get a kx. My kx can be a pain the in ass in some trails, and great in others. But I'm not going to complain because its an MX bike.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
Last yr. I repeadly smoked some kid on a 400ex w/ my kdx220...I would say get the kdx over the kx, as I've got both, and my kx is an 01....the kdx's mellow 2stroke power comes on alot harder than the 400ex and is gonna be an adjustment for you, but you'll like it....the kx's power is not mellow at all...its abrupt...I've tamed my kx w/ fww/pipe combo, & complete revalve of suspension, and its really fun in the woods, but it will hurt you if you're not careful...I'm kind-of curious as to any mods to these bikes your looking at have cause that may make a big difference as to which to get....good luck with it....hope this helps...

Jake1234

Dec 26, 2003
I would have to agree with, nectar. I have a 92 kdx and i have ridden a KX with an aftermarket pipe and silencer through some trails and I must say its alot to handle. The power is WAY to abrupt, the powerband is too narrow, its quite akward to ride fast through the trails without hitting a tree or something. Id say, get the KDX as u can do so much to make the power better with aftermarked mods.

Jake

L

LukeRips

canyncarvr said:
The kx would be handful'o-tiger-by-the-tail...in a woods situation.

If you're after one bike that will do both woods and track expertly...you'll end up with something that does neither very well.

I do agree that there isn't a "DO-IT-ALL" bike but a woods converted KX is much better on a motocross track than a KDX and they're not a handful'o-tiger-by-the-tail...in a woods situation if trained properly. :|

Jake1234

Dec 26, 2003
Yes, quite true, if one is trained properly it would work fine. Ive seen some KDX's tho that were modifed for motocross and trails, like modified suspension, which can be set to either trials or motocross. It seemed to work quite well and considering the the KDX is a trail bike, it would work much better on the trails then the KX.

Jake

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Here's an example of the KDX low end (with an FMF woods pipe). I was climbing a steep, rocky hill on Saturday, and accidentally kicked it into neutral. I was able to get back into first, and from almost a complete stop, get back up the hill.

There's no way I could have done this without the FMF pipe, or with a KX, YZ, etc... If you want to ride any kind of technical, finesse trails, a KDX is the only choice :cool:

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
I dont know the above guy at all but my suggestion would be for you to go and buy either a gasgas ec250/200/300 or a tm 250/300 enduro bikes!!! Far better than a kdx yet far easier to ride than a 250 mx bike!! OHH and they have all the mods stock.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Im thinking that theres about 2000 dollars difference in cost between the kx and kdx so if you want something middle of the road there is 2gs to get it there and for the trails the kdx comes with a larger tank with a reserve a head light a trip meter a kick stand is nice when you stop for lunch. so you need to decide just how much racing you are going to do compared to trails. because two grand would dial the kdx in quite nicely but it still wouldnt be a full blooded racer by any means.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
He has a point. The kdx is a nice bike, but the european bikes come with everything. My gasgas is sweet.

My bike has fmf pipe + silencer, Ohlins suspension, Marzocchi forks, hand guards, skid plate, carbon fiber pipe guard, excel rims, hebo headlight, klhein carb, hydraulic clutch, chromoly frame, new side plastics and seat cover.

My bike has been sitting since Aug 02. I took some time off of riding for a while.

I just recently went thru the whole bike though. I drained the gas, cleaned the carb, bled the brakes/clutch, sent the rear suspension out- had a complete service done, new seal, oil change, etc. The front fork oil was changed, fresh coolant,
top end - i sent the cylinder out to Langcourt and had it re-nikasiled, and put a new piston in. Cleaned the powervavle, new plug, fresh oil, gas, filter, etc. the bike is ready to go.

I just bought a new benz and my dad says it has to go by dec 31st lol. Its not doing me any good sitting there.

The bike looks new, and it hasnt been ridden that much.
Ive been running it every one in a while and putting around a bit, but it hasnt really been ridden in over 2 yrs.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Cool......Anyway for 2000 i could make akdx into a fullblown racer no probs...just go onto the fredette website...for about 1500 you could make a kdx a highly competative bike

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom