KDX 200 white smoke and bogging??

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
Ok, I am kinda new so please bear with me! My 90 KDX 200 constantly blows white smoke and bogs bad at anything over half throttle. I just rebuilt the top end and it did not fix anything. WHere should I go next, carb and throttle? Any ideas?

KX04

May 29, 2005
maybe the head gasket is leaking?
and coolent and water is geting in the cylender but if you did the top end and have new gaskets and the gaskets sealing surfaces are clean and flat that shouldent be it
kawasaki says if it has white smoke that you need to adjust yur throttle cable but doubt that will do any thing
maybe try fresh gas

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
Everything seemed good in the top end. I put in new gaskets all the way around, and my coolant is and has been full, so I see no leaks. I read that nonsense about the throttle cable and did not see how it could be that either. Being that it boggs at above 1/2 throttle to WOT, I was thinkink jetting and maybe a float? The plug I took out was pretty fouled, and stunk like fuel. Does that help?

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
I honestly do not know what jets are in there. I bought it used and have not torn apart the carb yet. It sounded like it would be jetting, I just needed some reassurance. What jets would you recommend I go with? Oh, I am at about 5000 altitude in the Reno area...Thanks for your help guys, I need it!

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yep sounds too rich. Make sure to set the float level while you have the carb apart. Then I' try a leaner main as mentioned above and I would also drop the needle one notch and turn the air screw out half a turn for starters. You will probaby need to go several steps leaner (on all jets, pilot, needle and main), but its usually a good idea to go in small incements rather than take a wild stab in the dark.

good luck

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
Did you inspect te head for any cracks? Did you torque the head properly? Also make sure the power valves are opening fine. It does sound like antifreeze getting in the combustion chamber though!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
nooch13 said:
Everything seemed good in the top end. I put in new gaskets all the way around, and my coolant is and has been full, so I see no leaks. I read that nonsense about the throttle cable and did not see how it could be that either. Being that it boggs at above 1/2 throttle to WOT, I was thinkink jetting and maybe a float? The plug I took out was pretty fouled, and stunk like fuel. Does that help?
What does the plug look like?? Not what it smells like. Does the bog sound like its running out of gas or a loaded up sound? Eric Gorr has plug photos on his web site. Take a look and get back to us. Remember the higher up you are the less oxygen there is, so if your rich you will have to go smaller on the Main, Pilot & maybe change the clip position on the needle. Jetting can be a pain, but its not rocket science. Patience and do a circut at a time to see where you're improvements are.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
The first thing you should do is check your pilot jet, main jet, and needle clip position and record your "starting point". Since you know you are too rich, start by changing one thing at a time, like go down one on the pilot (e.g. from 48 down to 45, smaller numbers are "leaner") and test the bike.

Go to CDave's website and read the "carb tuning" section. Jet changes are very easy. Oh yeah, be sure the snorkel on your airbox lid is removed too.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
I am going to tear apart the carb tonight, but here is so mething else. I have been told that another possibility is that it is sucking gear box oil via a faulty crank seal. Is that a possibility?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Sunny-You were asking me about my jetting in the other post. With my current setup go to this
http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/2004sparkplug/
The normal Sparkplug is what mine looks like to a tee w/the stock jetting, needle 2nd clip from top, running a BR7ES. I run a hotter plug because my riding is not wide open, balls top the wall, white knucle, salt flats riding. I get white knucled going through the trees & hills-3rd to 4th gear riding

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
Hey, kinda off topic, but where in orange county are you? I am going to be up there in a week for my cousins HS graduation, I think in Goshen. I grew up down in Nanuet

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
nooch13 said:
Damn, on the Eroc Gorr link, I am kind of in the middle of 2. Wet fouled and heavy carbon...
Until you get a smaller main, lower the needle one notch and do you ride fast or more technical riding. If your riding is slower try a hotter plug. Also, what ratio are you mixing and what oil are you using??

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
Off the top of my head I do not remember what oil, but I am 32:1. My riding is more technical with alot of hill climbs and stuff...

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I was running 32:1 and changed to 40:1 as per other riders on this forum. The oil manufactuer recommended 40:1, 52:1 or 64:1 depending on riding conditions. Look on the back of your oil bottle to see. 40:1 may help w/the excess oily residue-At least it helped in mine. Try a hotter plug it beleive it will help. But go just ONE HOTTER :cool: You can run 32:1 but your going to have to change the jetting beyond what you have now. I have the jetting on my 85 dialed into 32:1 & I will have to mix a seperate pre-mix for that bike. My 05 I have mixed at 40:1 and I like it better now.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Use quality/branded all synthetic, as opposed to a blend. Many good ones on the market and there are solid fans of each. I use Maxima, but that is just my choice. You are on the right track. Ride safe---John

Top Bottom