KDX 200 white smoke and bogging??

matt_60033

May 11, 2005
i had a similar problem with my kdx250 and i kept fouling plugs and heavy smoke no bog but i tried all of that but i bought a new muffler and took my old one off and apart and my old one the packing was soaked in oil so maybe your pakings bad

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
hmmm, yet another possibility! Hey, is that crank seal a possibility too? I was told that on another forum, but nobody mentioned it here...

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
:nod:
nooch13 said:
hmmm, yet another possibility! Hey, is that crank seal a possibility too? I was told that on another forum, but nobody mentioned it here...
Thats in a discussion about an electrical problem

nmilne

May 30, 2005
A crank seal is a possibility, although a rather unpalatable one. I'm assuming that kawasaki were half way bright and made the seals replaceable on the KDX? I had a crank on my KR-1S which was in pretty average shape but could only replace the outer seals, not the inner ones ... so had to get a more decent looking crank from a wrecker (not such a bad thing since the original crank had one of its rod big-ends peeled open like a bananna after I started looking anyway).

When you run your bike for a while, how does the gearbox oil look? Is there any milkyness to it? Thick white smoke is something you'll likely see with a crank seal.

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
ok, I think I found the problem. I tore down the carb and found that the c-clip that holds the needle in position was broken off and the needle was all the way down and bent...Now I just have to find a parts store open on Sundays!

My jet sizes are as follows 58, 155, 172

Is that ok for 5k altitude and up??

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
OK, I need a new needle jet. This one has a slight bend to it that I can not straighten out. The local bike shops of course have none in stock. Any ideas on where to get my hands on one, and is a 172 jet an ok size?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Your local bike shop will have to order you a new one. Try the new needle before changing the other jet. Look at the JUST KDX Page and goto the Carb Tuning Link. You will find a graph there that will give you a good approximation for temp & feet above sea level. :nod:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Bookmark this:

http://www.buykawasaki.com/site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=1

Take note this is NOT the 'front page' of the site..but the info lookup page per make/model/year.

From this site you can find that the stock jetting for your bike is 48/150.

re: 'My jet sizes are as follows 58, 155, 172'

No they aren't. You don't have three removeable jets...only two..pilot and main. In any case, if any combination of those jets are in your bike, it is so far off you can't even SEE your bike from here (probably due to all the smokin')!!!

re: Is this ok for 5k+el.

What Gearloose said.

A premix ratio change to 40:1 from 32:1 is making your air/fuel mixture more rich, making an already bad situation worse.

In the 'Every KDX rider should read this...' stickied to the top of this forum you (and everyone else) will find a link to Canadian Dave's website. I would suggest that every KDX rider read it. ...for all of you that haven't asked, consider yourselves to have received anyway.

re: Can a bad crank seal cause this problem (smokin').

Yes.

A change in plug heat range to address a poorly jetted bike is for sure a misstep in the wrong direction.

A 'needle jet' and a 'jet needle' are two different things. A jet needle fits inside the needle jet. The jet needle sits inside the throttle valve. Most Keihin carb needle jets are not replaceable through average means. Keihin needle jets are rarely changed/tuned for that reason.

There is an altitude jetting compensation chart on CDave's site.

Cheers!

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
Thanks for all the advice, it is GREATLY appreciated. I do have what I think is a needle jet. I took it out and attempted to find a replacement as there was a slight bend to it. It was stamped with 172 on it, that is where I got the size from. No luck on finding a replacement locally though. I am going to re-jet this afternoon. I was out of town over the weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Be sure to clean your air filter, put in a new plug, clean out your exhaust system, install a new needle and open up the airbox (airbox modification) before attempting to re-jet your bike. Like CC said, I would not go to a hotter plug. If you foul the one you put in, put in another new one and continue re-jetting. Buy a few new plugs for this endeavor.

nooch13

Jun 15, 2005
I can not be positive as it is not right in front of me, but I have the number R172N in my head for some reason...I did not tear the carb down last night as planned, went to dinner with the wife instead, I will try to get it done tonight after softball...

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
That's the needle mate, R1172N...yes you can replace those. I believe Sudco over there has them. Also see the jetting guide on JustKDX for a conversion guide to Keihen needles and more advice about effects different needles have.

Andrew

Andrew

Top Bottom