jeba6208

Sep 8, 2005
1993 KDX muffler help

Can you help.
I have a 93 kdx200. The stock muffler has a couple of screws about mid-point of the muffler (top and bottom). I removed these one day thinking that the muffler was one that could be re-packed. I couldn't get the screws back in later on. Now the bike runs like a dog and after half throttle really dies off. Could the wool inside this muffler have gotten loose when I took out these two screws (and now blocking the exhaust)? Not sure if I should try and fix this or order a new one, but I can't seem to get the screws to fit back in now (very loose inside). Thanks for your help. Greg

PS. If anybody has a 93 original muffler for sale let me know. I may be needing it. Thanks
jebapafu at yahoo.com

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Those screws were probably what holds the core of the silencer in place. By removing them, the core no longer is aligned properly in the silencer body, and is why you are expereincing issues reinstalling them, and in the performance of the bike. You need to get the silencer open, reposition the core, reinstall the screws, and repack it while you are in there. If a silencer is rebuildable, the end cap will come off of one or both ends, not screws in the middle. I have no idea if that silencer is intended to be rebuildable or not, but anything is possible with a welder and some common sense. Your options are to fix what you've got, or find something else. Your call on whether it is worth it to fix it, or simply swap it out.

By looking at the parts microfiche, it appears that it is rebuildable, but you are doing it incorrectly, the end cap comes out, as I had already mentioned. Since it appears you don't have a service manual (if you did, you could find the proper procedure in there instead of guessing, and wouldn't be here asking), you can view the silencer diagram at www.kawasaki.com, then go under owners info, parts diagrams, and select your bike from there, then look at the muffler diagram.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Take it all apart and put it together right. the packing is a small 3 x 6" piece in the middle. The screws you took off are the first to be fastened upon assembly.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Just a thought, if it is the stock muffler, I thought they did not need packing, just clearing the carbon & crap out, like the manual explains. You guys know, that BIG, HEAVY, REALLLLLYYYYY QUIETTTTT S/A

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
I have a stock one I dont need anymore, it is from an 01. I think it is the same quiet heavy thing that is not rebuildable and you only take the bolt out to drain the crap out. You are talking about the stock s/a right?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom