Johnboy

Dec 16, 1999
I have been mulling over getting a newer bike for some time and I think this summer I am goign to finally do it. I started on my '83 kdx200 2 summers ago and have progressed considerably on it. I ride almost entirely mountain trails anywhere from 4+ jeep trails to goat trails up the side of a mountain. My kdx has good torque for a 2 stroke and I'm not willing to sacrifice torque for a hard reving bike I ride with guys on XRs and I wouldnt get anything less than an xr400 in thumperville or a 2-stroke that matches my KDX in torque. I also love to rip it and can smoke my neighbor with a XR400 on the trail but I still would like to have more of a edge on him. Thanks for your input.
-Johnboy

------------------

KDXer

Oct 28, 1999
You would be very impressed with the improvements made on models 89-94 and even more on models 95-01 compared to your 83 model. The newer KDX'es make the same good usuable torque down low, and with the right mods will run with a XR400 on top, but you will have the benefit of better handling.

I am riding my 2nd KDX, and I guarantee you that for the type of terrain that you described, it is one of the best options for a average rider.

I will also check out the new GG 200 if you are looking at a new bike, I have heard many good stories.

If you are not sure though, get a KDX, pref 95 model or newer, you will not regret it.

------------------
One Life, Live it !

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
A '95 or newer KDX sounds like it would be the perfect bike for you. The XR is a big, heavy, pig on the trails and really doesn't offer you anything over the KDX. Unless you have your heart set on a four stroke, I'd get the KDX.
If you want more of an edge over your neighbor, practice your riding skills, work out a little bit and take comfort in the fact that you will have the mental edge because you ride a smaller bike and go the same places... faster.

------------------
'00 KDX 200

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Howdy,
I just went thru the same dilemma. DRZ or KDX? XR400 or KDX? KLX or KDX? Coudn't make up my mind for over 3 months of MN winter. Finally pulled the trigger and bought the 01 KDX 220. Figured it's the best of both worlds. Luggable power with the two stroke punch. Also costs about $1300 less than the thumpers. $1300 saved bought me boots, pants, jersey, Renthal bars, twin air filter, tie towns, gloves, goggles, and on and on. Can't go wrong with the KDX! The other thing is the ability to hop it up. The KDX is much easier to mod to your liking than the thumpers.

Seeya

------------------

Johnboy

Dec 16, 1999
What is a gg200? what kind of mods could I do to a 95 or newer that would be cost effective and give me the most bang for my buck? Also, if I went to a track how wouldthe kdx do against an xr400 with riders of comprable levels? Thanks
-Johnboy

------------------

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
A gg200 is a 200cc GasGas. I dont know much about them except they have a great reputation, people that own them love them and they are VERY expensive. Neither the KDX or the XR400 is setup for the track but with some suspension mods the KDX (IMO) would be better because it is much lighter. Ask this same question in the Thumper forum and you will probably get a different answer. :)

------------------
Mac
00-KDX-200

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
Mac is right, it is a matter of opinion as to which bike is better for the track. Have you ridden your buddy's XR? Did you like it? Did you like it better than your KDX? Basically you can look at it this way, a '95 or newer KDX will be everything your '83 KDX is but better.

Last spring, about this time, I was trying to decide on a KDX. One of the people on this site told me that if I liked the '85 IT 200 I used to have then I would love the KDX. He was right. The KDX is the easiest to handle bike I have ever owned but it isn't a slug powerwise. There is an old issue of Dirt Rider where they did a 24 hr race and the KDX compared favorably with the XR 400.

As for mods, many people recommend a pipe. I believe that runs about $200.

------------------
Hey, these blow up into funny shapes and all?
Well, no, unless round is funny.
'00 KDX 200

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
I'm hard pressed to believe an XR 400 could touch a KDX on the track. They're pigs. Especially if the track is sandy. Then again tracks are all about individual talent. Put McGrath on a KLR 650 and he'd still kick our a$$es. Another 2 cents, I had an XR 200 that sucked eggs on the track. Great indestructable trail bike though. Three kicks max and you were off. Even after sitting for months at a time. Now I bought a 01 KDX. What does that tell ya??

Seeya

------------------

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
Only bike in thumperland that might be a fun comparison with the KDX is the new WR-250F :)

I'm starting to look hard at them. There is one sitting at the local shop. They are a bit harder edged than the KDX, that's good and bad depending on what you want in a bike. There should be a ton of aftermarket goodies for them given their popularity! :-)

------------------
Chris
'00 CR250
'95 KDX200
'99 CR80
'99 Buell X1
'97 HD Sportster

Whitetweak

Feb 13, 2001
I was simply amazed at the DRZ's power and to me it felt quite responsive, but then i have not ridden it too much but you have to love a thummper that you do not have to do some wierd starting drill, simply push the button and off you go.

------------------

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
The KDX is way easy to start. I like a lighter weight two stroke over a heavier, electric start 4 stroke. JMO

------------------
You're young and you got your health, what do you want with a job?
'00 KDX 200

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom