KDX pipe mod work for my KX?? or should i pursue a different approach?

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
First off, i dont like when people post a question that has been asked 100000 times. My search yielded no accurate results so im am posting.

I found on Canadian's Dave's site a tip on modifying a pipe of which included removing packing materials from the inside of the pipe (not silencer). This supposedly improves performance greatly and is possibly better than a new FMF or PC.

I have a '87 KX250. My current pipe is stock and is showing its age. Im not sure if im sure that i want to spend $200+ on a new pipe.

I saw that tip and was wondering if the pipes are similar if not identical between the KDX and KX (yes i know ones a trail and the other MX but im figuring it doesnt hurt to ask; maybe kawasaki decided to save some sweet mulah)

I was also considering the possibility of taking a similar pipe, cutting my stocker after the u-bend (doing the same to the new pipe) and welding the new onto the old. Im not asking if this would be easy or if it wouldnt take lots of work as much as would this be possible.

ANY tips/advice/experience would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance, Brad

Sandy Whoops

Oct 11, 2003
The KDX uses a twin-walled pipe. The mod involves removing the inner wall. This mod wouldn't be applicable to an MX bike.
I wouldn't recommend any home-made mods to a 2 stroke expansion chamber. The likelyhood of success is fairly low. The aforementioned KDX mod is the exception simply because the stock pipe was designed for quiet operation, not power.

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
Ok thats the answer i was antisipating but thought id ask any way, thanks. I think I'll get some new reeds. Its already fast enough just thought i might be able to ooze out a bit more power.

So just for clarification, all 2-stroke pipes are not hallow but have packing?

Thanks again

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
no packing in mine

Ruff Rider

Sep 14, 2004
ok...thanks for your input ellandoh... Ill have to do some serious serching tomarrow when im not half asleep... DRN has an amazing amount of info, its just trying to find it, thats the hard part

Top Bottom