nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
I've been goin through my whole bike refreshing everything and now I'm stuck on the rear brake caliper. The only thing i did to it besides clean the outside up was change the brake pads on it, now when i goto reinstall it just won't fit! The part that mounts to the swingarm mount comes in the way of the rotor! These are tusk pads and are quite thick, is it possible to move this mount out more or what? I'm getting really pissed as I can't seem to fix this. The front caliper went on no problem. Thanks for any help. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Man, it sounds like the pad hasnt seated properly or you havent compressed the piston far enough. Dont go moving the mount, the aftermarket pads should fit without you having to do that...as a matter of fact I think moving the mount is a really bad idea.

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
I have the piston flush with the caliper, meaning its all the way compressed. I'm clueless, I don't really want to sand down my pad as it defeats the purpose of buying new ones!

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
nfisher by chance when you removed the caliper did you remount it on the wrong side of the caliper mount? The caliper mounts on the inside of the caliper mount, i.e., the side closest to the brake disc. The Tusk pads should work fine (assuming you were sent the correct ones), as I have them on my bike and they work great. I don't recommend sanding or grinding anything before you double check your work (parts diagrams are a great help if you don't have a service manual). Good Luck :cool:

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
Definately checked service manual and bikebandit's microfiche and I am 100% sure I mounted the caliper on the right side, it couldn't mount any other way. I am having the feeling I was sent the wrong ones. How thick are your pads? I'm at school so I will measure them when I get home.

mitchw

Jan 19, 2003
Each of the rear Tusk pads measure 4mm thick and the backing plate is also 4mm for a total of 8mm (that's 8mm for each side). The pads only have a couple of easy rides on them and should be close in thickness to a new set. I have one other thought; by chance is the wheel spacer on the wrong side of the brake carrier? The wheel spacer should on the side closest to the wheel hub. :think:

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I also have the Tusk pads and they are a bear to get on! You just have to make sure the piston is back as far as it will go. I used some big channel locks to push mine in. Then you just have to wrestle with the thing to get it on. I had to put the rotor in between the pads and then put the caliper onto the swingarm. You have about 1mm of clearance to do it, but it can be done. Don't sand them...just work with it. You'll get it!

Top Bottom