kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
Street Legal KDX

You can try Baja Designs or E-line. They make dual sport lighting kits for all types of bikes..... :yeehaw: Sounds like it will be a very cool bike to have. One that I can only dream of in California. :whiner:
Randy

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
If I recall - Ohio is pretty easy - same here in MO.

I have a tag on my KDX (a legit tag). There is a cheaper kit made for the KDX that you can get for about $200 through Rocky Mountain. It has a new stator, brake light pressure switch and a few other goodies to make you legit in about 15 states.

I think insurance is $90 a year - cant really beat that.

I had to put real mirrors on my KDX (they come off in 30 secs) since every time I went out I got pulled over. Since I added the mirrors - all is good.

I would highly recomend a good DOT knobbie if you go on the hardball at all. 50 miles of asphault will smoke most off road tires. The Kenda Trakmaster is VERY agressive and will not fly apart at 70 on the asphault.

Good luck,

Sean

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
kdxluver said:
One that I can only dream of in California. :whiner:
Randy

You can say that again. About the only thing you can do in california dream, unless that dream is contrary to the eco-fornia vision of how life is.

-Maurice

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
what all has to be changed on a kdx 200 to make it road legal and why. I'm in washington state and interested in making mine road legal. Also just curious about why things need to change to make it legal

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
There is only one way to find out what you need - go ask the motorcycle safety inspector for your state. If they dont have the answers, call the highway patrol - those guys usually know the vehicle regs pretty well.

Generally, minimum reqs are a headlight, taillight, brakelight, horn and mirror. Some states add high beam, turn signals, ability to run lights x amount of minutes without the engine (ie a battery) etc.

FWIE the KDX was never intended to run on the road. I have mine tagged so I connect trails in US forests and stay legal. Pavement will trash it in no time.

sn

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
I live in Miami county OH, it is impossible to get it street legal if you follow the law. Kawasaki titles or MSO's state off-road use, not DOT approved. In OHio they are supposed to look for that. (KTM titles on the other hand... getting a plate is easy).

So how do you do it? If you try legally, your screwed.

If you walk in to a registar with your current paperwork they will force to get a off-bike registration, which thens precludes that vehicle from ever going street legal.

Remeber, they clerks have no clue on what a 2-stroke KDX is or it's intended purpose, all they see is the paper work. If you have a vehicle which is legal in another state getting the regisration transferred is no big deal.

This is where those title companies come into play, the basic scheme is they operate out of Alabama or some state where it's easy to get replacement titles and register the vehicle, they then transfer it back to you. There are different methods depending on the age of the bike.

caviet emptor

chris kuba

May 31, 2003
It is impossible in PA also. PA is very anal about their inspection and emission laws. Emission laws are getting broader, used to be only a few counties in or near the big cities but that is expanding. The other problem is that the people who do the inspections do know what a two stroke is. I had a Yamaha RZ350 street bike that was two stroke but it actually had catalytic converters right in the pipes. When one caught fire the dealer put on regular after market pipes and would pass it because I bought it there. If they get caught doing it illegally the state will revoke their testing license.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
I have my KDX fully street legal in PA and the only tricky part is getting the reconstruction title. PennDOT rejected mine the first time because my rear fender was to short but the rest of my Baja Design kit was just fine. As for emissions testing, any vehicle driven under 5000 miles a year is exempt.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Bummer about the system(s) in the US! Sounds confusing. I live in Australia and my KDX is road legal in all states... Not that it is at its best on the hard stuff, but it's still some of the most fun I've had on the road. PLUS I can do my part to piss off those damn environmentalists that aren't keen on 2 stroke emissions. C'mon, is there any nicer smell? What good is clean air if we don't have 2 stroke engines to combust it?

It will be sad to see the two strokes squeezed further and further out of acceptance, and existance. Then it will be valves, cam chains and blandness for everyone :(

...until the FOUR STROKE is deemed to be too harsh on the environment, that is.

Just my 2 cents.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
Yep, Four strokes: one power stroke and three to wear the engine out !

For those in Australia, Queensland now has conditional registration which can be used to legally ride any non-compliant bike or quad in certain areas, state forests being one of them. Basically, you just get third party insurance, self-assess the bike and pay the money. You get a label and a dinkey little rego plate, and you're good to go. the Tpt dept doesnt even want to see the bike! You're supposed to have a working brake light, and head & tail lights at night, but no-one checks. It's only good for riding in certain areas, so you can't ride along the bitumen to your favourite riding spot - but wh'd want to anyway? Just wears the knobbies out!

cheers,
Andrew

gvilleant

Mar 12, 2004
I here vermont gives out plates for any dirt bike. I live in New York & plan on traveling to Vermont to see if I can get a tag. I'll let you know.

Top Bottom