ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
SKIPRO3: until any of you guys spend enough seat time on the ktm to get comfortable you cant compare the two, because frankly you havent felt the difference. "competititve in an enduro" is a pretty vague statement. I don't know very many people that ride two enduros a year and are competitive in any class other than C. The ktm IS fun, but its not a lazy mans bike, so it does require work to ride fast. what bike doesn't take energy to ride at a fast pace?

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
KTMRacer...

I've spent plenty of seat time on a KTM 200EXC. Three of my riding buddies own them and we swap bikes every time we ride. Let's face it... even trail riding requires a good bit of physical effort. You know as well as many good riders do... there is a minimum speed that you need to ride in order to get a bike to handle reasonably well. Too slow in the sand and you're all over the place fighting to keep the front wheel from ploughing. It doesn't take long before even the best conditioned rider is worn out. Same goes for many other types of terrain as well. As a matter of fact... aside from the power hit that the KTM has... it's actually an "EASIER" bike to ride fast than a KDX. Simply because it's better suspended. So... It's probably better to get a 200EXC if you're a lazy rider than a KDX. You'll just have a sorer butt if you're too lazy to stand up. I think by lazy rider you mean someone who sticks to riding open trails, fire roads, etc.

Dawg_enD

Sep 19, 2003
This whole argument is pretty silly. I mean, define "best."

What's the best car? Is Seattle better than Denver? How about Portland? What if you put a big seaport in Denver? How about drier air in Seattle?

For crying in the beer.... test ride them both then pick which one you like the most. Or imagine the fun mods you want to do, THEN pick the one you like the most. Or go buy a quad. It's YOUR bike, screw what *I* think about it.

-Dawg

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
KTMRacer: From your reaction to my posts, it seems you might be mis-reading the message I was trying to convey. And maybe I am mis-reading yours. I re-read my posts and yours. I really think we are on the same page here. Please don't read any negative conitation into my replies and relax.
Happy riding!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Skipro3,

After a 20 year layoff from riding, I decided to lock & load, and mount up again in 2002. My choice was a brand spanking new 02 KDX 200. Did alot of trail riding, but as I got into it more and started harescramble and GP like tracks the limitations of the machine started to show. Of course, I modified and improved the suspension, ergos, engine, airborx, etc...but still it felt like I was working way to hard and really thinking about what I was doing rather than just riding instinctively. In January 04, I purchased a beautiful, minimally used 98 KTM MXC 300, which included a revalved suspesnion by dicks racing set up for me, applied triple clamps, new metzlers, etc..in short, an immaculate bike.

However, because on I'm on a military deployment I rarely have had the opportunity to come home and ride it. Well on memorial weekend, I was given a week off and got a chance to ride it...and all I can say, is owning and riding a KTM far exceeded my expectations!...I rode in the woods and on a hare scramble type track on a really crappy and muddy day and I never once felt uneasy about hitting jumps, water filled ruts, and whoop de dos. I didn't have to think, I just rode. The KTM ran crisp and clean. On days like this, the KDX in contrast, handled fine in the woods, but somewhat squirrley and unpredicatble in open terrain.The KTM conquered all of it. Hands down. Sure it vibrates a little, and the seat is firm, but it's a 300 afterall. Believe it or not, I felt less fatigued riding the KTM than on the KDX.

Nonetheless, I love my KDX -- it's solid, indestructible, timeless, reliable...but I think it served it's purpose for me in helping me to get back into the game. I just posted the KDX for sale on another website today and really 'hate' to give it up, but I can only ride one bike at a time. I used to ride Maicos and my last 2 bikes in 81 and 82 were Honda CR 250's...so I think I made the switch because I just wanted more...Like Cadjocky, I'm kinda really not ready to let go of my kdx yet, not because I like it more than the KTM, it's just that the KDX is just a damn good all around bike. Sometimes you just gotta move on, and in this case I think it was a good thing. Happy trails fellas!

CPT John Hubbard, USA, SP

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi John: I too spent a few years away from my bike riding when I came back and got a KDX. Thanks for the insite on the KTM. Those are all reasons I am considering one now. Right now, I would just keep the KDX but would really like more power and I don't mean just a little. My riding partner has a KX500. I really enjoy riding it but it vibrates so bad that my hands go numb in a short period of time. Nothing like pure grunt to get you up anything and not worry about what gear the bike may be in.
To view a couple of photos of my KDX220, go here:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=98378
To view a list of mods to my KDX220 go here:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=97920
P.S.
Like your Maicos, I used to ride Bultacos. Fang, the Persang, was my last one. A 360 with a cannon for an exhaust.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I hate vibration. It seems that my hands can go asleep riding just about anything, including street cruisers. That's one of the reasons I want to stick with a smaller bike; the bigger the 2-stroke, the more the vibration. The other reasons are the weight and power issues. I don't go riding to get a workout struggling to control too much weight or too much power. It takes the fun out of it for me. I realize that it's a personal preference thing. I also realize it somewhat depends on whom you're riding with. If they are at race speed all of the time and leave you in the dust you must have enough bike to keep up with them. At my age (47) that's not too much of a problem. I have years of riding experience so I don't have anything to prove. As soon as I get the young whipper-snappers off of their make-shift moto x tracks and into the mountains they soon see who knows how to ride in any situation. They beg for mercy and long to get back to their little tracks that go round and round and round again.

renshaii

May 11, 2003
Well it was just a few weeks ago when I had to make a decision between these two bikes, the ktm 200 exc and a kdx. Prior bikes were a wrf250f and a 93yamahaWR250. After riding both bikes, i went with the 200exc, and drove 9hours to pick one up. A 2001 in great condition for an awesome price. My riding group consists of 1 2002 yamaha wrf250 and literally 5 kdx 220s, so there was a lot of pressure to go green. After the bike getting passed around a bit there were no complaints among the kdx riders. It was described as a "kdx on steroids", even the kid with the kdx 220 piped, ported, carb bored, etc said "boy that thing really moves". Without comparing statistics or getting into a pissing match about which bike is more "flickable", or my bike can beat up your bike. I'm just going to say that I am 100% satisfied with my new bike, it is totally confidence inspiring, and I have more fun riding then ever before.

On a side note the power characteristics of the 200exc can be adjusted easily by adjusting the powervalve, as well as obviously the jetting. So the big hit of the 200 exc shouldnt be a factor in your decision of which bike to get. Anyone in a similar position that I was of which bike to get should check out the forums at ktmtalk.com, as there are many 200exc riding reviews.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Just an update from my second ride on the exc.

1) That thing on the right handlebar is best treated with respect. On the first simple jump on our track I almost flipped the bike. To say this bike is quick is an understatement. It appears that there isn't a milisecond of delay when opening the throttle. This of course is good when you know what you're doing. I'm an amature and need to be careful.

2) The EXC does not make you RC. I really had to watch how I was riding because I was getting too confident on this bike. There are jumps that I just wouldn't consider on the KDX, but felt the KTM could do it. I started getting in trouble by the end of the day and had to stop riding after a few close ones.

I can't believe I almost brought home the 300! I'm seriously wondering if I didn't bite off more than I can chew ...

L

LukeRips

After racing Kawis since I was 9, I recently considered a 200E/XC. I wanted to keep my KX's and be able to change from 250 class to 200 when I felt like it. I even put one on hold. However, I good riding buddy decided to sell his 2001 KDX. I can get this bike for pennies on the dollar, he wants to trade me for an item I have that's worth about $600 and the bike is cherry. Since I can get a deal like this, I have no reason to buy the Katoom. I'll start another thread for this topic but I'd appreciate all you KDX guys letting me in on all the tuning secrets. :)

Press on!

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
KDX weight- I have a registered cattle scale that's certified accurate to 1 lb. The cool thing about it is that you can roll your bike on there and get an actual weight- no messing with 2 scales or any of that stuff. My KDX200 with FMF K-35, fully gassed, fully oiled, handguards with metal inserts, WER sterring damper, Trail Tech digital speedo, weighed in at 245 lbs. My '96 XR250 pulled 265 lbs. and my '92 WR250 was about 245 lbs, too (can't remember if it had handguards at that time or not).

Just FYI.

I've thought a lot about a KTM, but the nearest dealer is 150 miles away and I just know I'd get into trouble with a faster bike. The KDX handles beautifully for me (esp. with that WER) and is totally confidence inspiring. Plus, it's paid for, done with, proven reliable, I've got 3 kids to raise, not much income, so I think I'll stick with Green.

Top Bottom