z1nonlyone

Nov 17, 2006
I just bought my 15 year old daughter a 05 220 KDX. She loves it,,,, I love it... It is totally stock. Not to be outdone, my friend bought his daughter a KTM 20 exc 2003. Just rode it today, nice bike also has explosive power. I think the KTM is faster than a stock KDX but I am wondering if anyone knows if a KDX with a pipe, carb mods, jetting will be as powerful as the KTM? The KTM already comes stock with a fmf pipe. To keep apples against apples the KDX should be compared with the same hop up goodies. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
yes a KDX 220 can be tuned to out perform an orange 200, there is work to be done, 1000 on the engine and 500 on KX forks and rear shock. and you can compare it to a 250
or 300. I know this because I own a fully modifide KDX,an 06 exc 300, YZ 250. the KDX is a less expensive in all aspects bike, more forgiving, with a much smoother power band then the other two. by the way I have been trying to tune to be more like the KDX.
the best add on to the KDX was Kayaba forks and showa rear shock, CR high mini bars,and tall seat foam. when I ride tight woods I always ride the KDX it sole purpose was built for enduro conditions. if its tight muddy and out right nasty the KDX rules. for hair sramble riding the KTM likes it fast and hard. you just have to remember to tighten or check all the nut and bolts before the next ride. for the money spent the KTM is not worth it, its like owning a Hummer for hunting its cool and efective but way to much to get the job done. it the KTM is a RACE bike if you dont race and youre income doesnt depend on winning,then there are other ways to have fun. oh the KDX is 7 years old and other than inspection and cleaning,has two seasons on it. I ride once a week hell or come high water and dont race anymore. about the KDX Jeff Fredette did all my engine work, and I hear nothing but good things about RBdesigns (RON BLACK).

captbly99

May 30, 2005
well, for what's it's worth......

I had a '95 KDX 200, owned it for 9 years, it was stolen and for my next bike, I went with an '03 KTM 200. It scared me at first with the snapiness of the throttle/hit, but after some tweaking on the Power Valve and a G2 Throttle Cam, I LOVE IT and it has made me a faster rider(had it for 7 months now)

I did have a friend do a little work to the forks, they seemed to deflect hard, which I think is common for KTM's, but once I got that settled, I feel much more stable on it suspension wise in the woods, which has allowed me to pick up speed.

My KDX had FMF Fatty and FMF powercore silencer, other then that mostly stock, air box had holes drilled. But, really no other mods.

I am a 36 year old female and I race HS's and enduro's, average "C" rider.

I wouldn't run out and get your daughter a KTM, let her enjoy the 220 a while, they are great bikes. What did she have before the 220? Also, it isn't always the bike, it takes a good rider as well, let your daughter whoop up on the KTM girl on her KDX! :)

Good luck and I love to read about girls riding, no matter what they ride! :cool: It is an awesome sport for both of you to be doing together!

z1nonlyone

Nov 17, 2006
My daughter started with a XR70 then a TTR125 and now the KDX. I don't think she is aggresive enough to want to race yet, but she sure likes to compete against herself and in doing so sets a pace that I have a hard time beating! Its just a matter of time and she will be faster. Confidence will be gained thru practice and when she sees that she is faster than her friends and some of the dads, she might want some mods done.Its exciting for me to see her into riding!!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Depending on her weight you may want to start with stiffer fork springs. Read the stickys at the top of this forum and you will get a good idea of what can be done.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
KawiDave said:
Sorry hate to be this way but...
K eep
T he
M oney

'nuff said.

I just noticed it! Thats better then the truck ones :laugh:

Top Bottom