blanc

Dec 18, 2002
HI I have narrowed my search for a new bike between a kdx200. a rmx250, or a 125 motocross, we will be riding in the woods and a small enduro style track!! If i buy a 95/6 kdx, i want to be as competitive as my friends mxer, in my opinion they are also ugly!!

Can you put on kx fenders , numplates , plasticsetc , to make them look as nice????? IN acceleration which bike is better?

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Sorry my friend rides a 01 kx125, i want to be able to keep up in enduros, and beat him in the woods, could a kdx look like a kx and outpreform it??

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by blanc
Sorry my friend rides a 01 kx125, i want to be able to keep up in enduros, and beat him in the woods, could a kdx look like a kx and outpreform it??

My opinion is that it all depends on the rider. I dont have much experience with 125's, but I'd say they're comparable. It just depends on who's the better rider

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Lots of MX type parts for the KDX as far as cosmetics. Colors too. The only thing green on my bike anymore is the frame. I even dyed the tank black like the 2003 models. The 1999 shrouds are white and there are lots of graphics without the Kawasaki green. Check out Jeff Fredette's site for the most consistant choice. He is a great guy to talk to as well and can get anything even if he doesn't list it on his site.

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
If you go 125, you'll be clutching it a lot in the woods, but will be able to smoke a 220 on the track. A 250 will be too much for the woods, unless you really know what you're doing. while technically faster, the 250 will actually be slower in the woods as you try to manage the power.

It all depends on what you want.

Gordo

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hey skipro3, how did you dye your tank black? i have a white tank that is turning brown, tried to paint it, didnt work,, think dyeing it black will make it look good again?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Nevada:
Did you try Krylon Fusion when you painted it?

in my opinion they are also ugly!!

That's a good way to get info at a just KDX forum... ;)

Last edited:

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Jeff's site is
www.frpoffroad.com

As far as dying, White is the eaisest. Krylon fusion is still paint and scratches off. I have had sucess with dying stuff black, I take a pot and mix up rit dye powder (not the liquid ) and boil the parts. The dye will soak into the plastic and not scratch off. Deep scratches will reveal the original color, but the color will not simply scratch or chip off..... This sounds simple untill you try to boil the lager parts... Also on the gloss white plastic i have found it easier to scuff it up a little with some 400-600 grit paper....

I'd really only reccomend doing black, the color of dye you make has to out power the original color, with my kawa green it resulted in a dark green that looked black.. When finished, the surface will have a slightly dull finish, some mop and glo can bring that back....

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
between your choices, rmx 250. kdx, and kx 125 for waht you have described you need a real deal on these bikes. KDX will be the best for you now, then as you progess MX 250, or 4 stroke. 125 you will be clutching till your arm falls off, and rmx is just to heavy. Either get a 250 and work it hard, or get a KTM 200 and up CC bike. I have been going thru a stage, 4th bike in about 3 years, and I want a KTM, but that is personal. Just if you ride woods, stay away from 125, unless you are like really good on a bike, otherwise, you shall see what choices are all about. "I want my ktm 250"....get your riding for nothing and your parts for free....

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
A 125 is not a curse of death in the woods. Granted, it can be more work than a KDX, but the reward is you have a lighter, better hanlding bike. And with good gearing, a 125 works well in the woods. Especially something with decent bottom. You should check out the new KTM 125 SX, great in the woods, and amazing on the track. As far as straight line speed, a KDX is almost as fast a 125, for acceleration. The KDX does get winded on top, the trick is to shift nice and quick, staying in the power, not going out too far on top. In my opinion, if all your going to do is ride in the woods, a KDX is probalby just fine. Its got the perfect woods motor, and is set up pretty decent, although definatly heavy. If your going to try and ride any type of track stuff, a 125 would be the ticket. I've done both now, two years on a KDX220, and now about 18 months with 125s. I'd never go back to the KDX. It was a perfect stepping stone.

Aaronkdx

May 3, 2005
I went to a kdx 200 from an XR100. Because its a good woods bike. They are cheap and a good learning bike. I only weigh 140 5-10". It has great bottom end. I can lug it right hills if it's all rutted and good traction. Try that with a 125. It a good woods bike. No they don't look the best. But so what. I have number plate and mx fender on it. If your going to race it's not the best but it will do.

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
It doesn't matter what the KDX looks like when you're leaving your 125-riding friends in the dust, or rather, the woods. A KDX is at home in the gnarly stuff, and will climb more confidently than a 125. Many times I've been climbing steep hills, and my KDX just keeps making power at the bottom end. It's got me out of a lot of trouble.

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
Um, well

while technically faster, the 250 will actually be slower in the woods as you try to manage the power.
Well, thats dead wrong.
Have you ever been or ridden in a GNCC or Harscramble etc?
The 250's CR,YZ,KX,RM make awesome woods weapons and its the other way around 125 don't.
You can Flywheel weight a 250 and it even makes it more woods friendly.
The lil 125's just dont really hack it in the woods for a serious woods rider IMHO.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom