motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
this is my question. what wis the better bike the kdx 220/200, klx 300, or xr 250. i will be buying them used once i found a good deal and have all the cash ready. whats the disavantages on them. i m 5'9 134lbs. i m growing very fast also. I will ride in the woods 70% and practice on a mx track 30%. I will get into hare scrambles next year also. so please please help me out on my decision. thx very much

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
kdx 200 and 220 both are the best choice
if you want race the 200 class then get the
200 if you want to race the 250 open class
then get the 220 the 200 class has bikes 100cc-200cc

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The XR250, of course! Just kidding. C'mon, this is the KDX forum ... guess which one we like best?
Seriously, any of the three would make a fine trail bike. A lot would depend on the kind of kind of deal I found and what kind of shape the bike's in. I'd sooner have an XR250 in good shape than a clapped out KDX, but all things being equal I'd personally go for a '95 or later KDX (big surprise there!).

Good luck.

One added bonus if you get a KDX, you get own forum on DRN - you don't see any "JustXR" , or "JustKLX" forums do you? :)

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
do u have to rebuild the top end alot on the kdx as u would on a 125 mxer?? i m leaning more on the kdx. Why because 4 strokes are cool but i love that 2 stroke sound. i just love tha ring ding ding ding de da de ding ding.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
KDX's will go a long way on rings and pistons - much much longer than a 125 mxer and much longer than most 250 MX bikes. I would guess most guys go 1,000 - 1,500 miles on a set of rings, and longer than that is not unheard of.

I've owned KDXs and an XR250, and my buddy had a KLX. My personal preference for the bikes you mentioned are KDX, KLX then XR. But all are fine. BTW, there is a KLX forum, planetklx. There is a link to it in the motolinks section of DRN.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
For the riding you are describing the KDX will be a better all around bike since it motos better than the two 4 strokes. If you plan to race in the 4 stroke class than the KLX is the only way to go. My brother has a '00 KLX and it is very equal with my KDX when it comes to power, acceleration and top speed. The KLX seems to have softer suspension but if you moto than you have to stiffen any trail bike up.

I don't know too much about the newer XR 250's. I used to have an '87 model and thought it was a heavy, gutless pig on the trails. It did trail ride nicely but wasn't very exciting to ride. At higher speeds the bike experienced severe headshake which made it downright scary. I might have been able to lessen the headshake with some suspension tuning but I was in high school and didn't know my head from my butt.:)

motomadness

Mar 18, 2001
well i have made my mine up for sure. its gonna be kdx 200. why because i believe it will suit my needs. i m a all around rider and ride everything but i will race hare scrambles next year. so now i m a green boy. thx for all the help that lead me to my decision. now be prepared for once i get the kdx, i will have sooooo many questions.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
You wont be disappointed with your decision. The KDX responds well to tweaking which it will need if you want to race. Before posting too many questions be sure to visit JustKDX . You will find many answers there.

jeff joy

May 14, 2001
just saw your post so thought I'd reply.after a 20 year lay off from trail riding I bought a 97 xr250 to get back into it.after about 6 months of getting back into some kind of shape and learning how to ride again I purchased a 99 200.unbelivable difference !!! the kdx is lighter,alot more nimble,goes where you point it and has much better power than the xr.I put a tourqe pipe and flywheel weight on the kdx and now has just as much low end as the xr did and has way more on top.So take this for what it's worth from someone that has riddin both recently,you will not regret the decission to go with the kdx,I sure didn't and I'm sure you won't either if you choose the kdx. :)

Top Bottom