eram310

Mar 28, 2006
So it’s the first time I took my new to me KDX 200 to the woods and I had several issues.
First and foremost, I am a beginner in the enduro , hare scramblers stile of riding. I have some experience doing single track on a 250 d/s 4 stroke bikes, but steep hills up and down were a challenge. My first issue is the clutch. I couldn’t completely disengage the clutch by pulling on the clutch lever. Every time I stalled the bike, I had to go to neutral in order to start the bike. Not an always easy task in the middle of hill. I adjusted the free play to minimum, but that didn’t help.
The rest of the problems I had were 2 strokes inherent: Non linear power delivery was the main one. After a full day of riding, (covered 18.5 miles) I still don’t have a feel for the throttle.
I am glad I put the radiator guard and the skid plate and I am sorry I didn’t install the bark busters I received in the mail. I was just lucky not to bust a lever or a finger yesterday.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The clutch not disengaging sounds like a basket issue. Once the basket fingers become "notched" or worn the clutch will not properly disengage.

As for non-linear power, what mods does the bike have? Has it been properly jetted? KDX's are often touted as having 4-stroke like power, because it is so smooth with no unexpected hits. Usually it is a faulty power valve or improper jetting that causes the power band to develop a "hit".

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Eram

I think you need to ride the bike more on not so technical terrain and get used to the bike first .
Its not a 4 stroke although it does have a fair amount of bottom end torque .

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
I agree w/ Crazy, get used to the bike, you will not find a better bike to begin with in the woods, perhaps you were trying to bite off more than you can chew, But I can tell you the KDX will chew if you're up to it.
Maybe ride it somewhere you can just get to know the controls, clutch, throttle, shifting. Then go tackle the hill climbs.
Your clutch basket needs some work and you should do it NOW, it will make the learning curve much easier all it takes to repair is a good file and a bench vise. and by God, put on thoise barkbusters, or buy a few levers and carry them on the bike w/ you. Too bad you can't buy spare fingers....
Have fun on the trails and report back soon.

eram310

Mar 28, 2006
The bike is complete stock, other than the guards.
What needs to be done to fix the clutch.?The kid I bought it from never really rode it in the woods but did MX and now bought a dedicated MX bike. Is rejeting the carb will make it behave more like a 4 stroke? I don't need more power at this stage.

Thanks,

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
eram310 said:
The bike is complete stock, other than the guards.
What needs to be done to fix the clutch.?The kid I bought it from never really rode it in the woods but did MX and now bought a dedicated MX bike. Is rejeting the carb will make it behave more like a 4 stroke? I don't need more power at this stage.

Thanks,

I bet your KIPS or powervalve is NASTY! Mine quit working and I took the top end off and couldn't believe how clean EVERYTHING except the power valves were. They were nasty. Cleaned it all up and it runs like a sewing machine again.

eram310

Mar 28, 2006
The guy I bought the bike from told me he just changed the oil. I tried adjusting the clutch cable again (this time calm in my garage at the 2 adjusting nuts) and that didn’t help.

I will have to drain the oil anyway to get to the clutch.
Any more suggestions?

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I had the same clutch problem and my basket looks great, plates are great. I put an MSR Raptor clutch on for a different reason and it pulls just enough more cable that the clutch problem is gone. I can idle in 1st gear now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom