Strube

May 6, 2002
I have a 2001 KDX200 with a FMF gnarly woods pipe and Boysen reeds. The FMF site says to use a 1173 needle with this pipe. canadian Daves carbuartor tuning guide says use the stock 1174. What works best??

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Short version:
With stock slide (#5), CEL-3 for an MX type 'hit' response.
BEL-2 works better for enduro type, smoother response.

If you're going to buy needles, you'll be better off getting keihin needles from sudco (800-998-3529) @ $5 each (plus S&H), than proprietary needles from kawi (like the 1173K..probably close to $20).

If the only choices you want to consider are the two you asked about, get an 1173. Not worth it, imo. But that was your question.

BTW, for future reference...when asking for jetting info be sure to state the model of your pipe for the sake of clarity. Likely yours is a K-G35? The model number is stamped on one of the mounting flanges. Also, if you have bike response issues, list the jetting you currently have..pilot, main, needle & clip (the clip positions number from the TOP ..from the blunt end) and AS position. Also the mods done to your bike..airbox, filter type, pipe, S/A, ....anything you've done.

That'll help get you better responses.

Cheers!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Originally posted by Strube
What works best??
that can be different for everyone but with 155 m ,1173 ,45 p,pa 1 1/2 ,k 35 pipe /pc2,boysen reeds,50t r sprocket ,40:1.runs great lugging in the woods or on a more open trail,no fouled plugs infact a perfect plug color. starts 1-2 kicks and just goes :)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I am still on my jetting quest though I have a 225 with stock carb and thanks CC I was going to ask If the CEL-CEK was a good choice for a stock 35mm carb or just the R&B modded carb. I seem to be lean on different parts of the needle and main so I ordered a 158, 160 main along with a CEL and CEK needle.

You say the CEL is a good choice for the 35mm carb, what is this based on and how would this change after the carb has been modified by R&B.

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know. Does this mean that the R&B jetting specs applies to those of us with 35mm carbs too??

And yes I know that each bike is different and I have to find my own jetting but a starting point on which needle to use would be real nice.

It seems the CEL-CEK is richer in every way over the stock needle, makes me wonder why everyone runs the stock needle in clip#2.

Thanks

Top Bottom