KDX200 question

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
I have recently purchased a 2003 KDX200 and have a little trouble with the low end sometimes as it stalls occasionally and it a bit boggy in first gear. Do you have any suggestions? I run Spectro mix about 40:1 with the factory plug (BR8ES).

Another issue is that the clutch seems fine when riding, but if the bike is "off" and no matter how much I adjust the clutch, when it is disengaged, while in gear, the bike won't move just like it drags when the clutch is engaged. What could this be?

Thanks,
Doug

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Hey Doug,
Congrats on the KDX. I just purchased one in November and even though my bike didn't stall it defnitely had a low bog...granted I was running 32:1 oil/gas ratio and I also modified the airbox lid, and added a PC pipe. So what I'm getting at is did you change the plug after you broke the bike in initally? Have you done any mods? Is your filter clogged? Is your gas old? You know the KDX comes jetted notoriously rich from the factory. I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago on the KDX forum--see the thread HOT or COLD (you make the call). If you check Canadaian Dave's KDX Forum you'll find loads of information about (and how to correct it) this as I did.

With regard to the clutch issue, mine does it too--it's normal. Again, I've seen the questioned asked a bazillion times on CD's KDX forum and everybody says the same thing. Just take a look the forum and you'll see. Thank God for the KDX forum because I've been away from riding for about 20 years and things have definitely changed with regards to maintenance, upkeep etc...

Hey, I see you live in Maryland. I live in Columbia, MD and I was riding out in Gambrills and Coca Cola Drive, but Gambrills/Odenton is totally off limits and now I'm looking for some other places...Where do you ride?~John

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Sorry for the repeated CD JustKDX referral, but when I first read your thread it was in the Mods and Performance forum...Glad your post ended up in right place afterall...It's good place to be!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: CDave's site...

1. A reference to it (and the url) is stuck to the top of this forum.
2. Click HERE to get there.

Note: The AS is adjusted using the seat of your pants as a guage. It's throttle response your after with that adjustment. Other things done correctly and in order, the AS properly adjusted will get you instant response off idle.

Last edited:

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
John,
Thanks for the help... I ride at the Honda Club in Ijamsville, but not a member. I go with a friend. I just started riding, just like you after being off of it for 20 years. I am still looking, but I heard of the Easton Landing over the Bay bridge is nice. open for ~$40 a day. When you took your lid off, do you have to do anything else?
Doug

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Hey Doug, that Honda Club--it that in Waldorf???...I met some people riding back in the Patuxent Park and they said they rode down there too...

Anyway, I didn't actually take of the airbox lid--I modified it by removing the snorkel and drilling a dozen or so holes in the lid. I have not made any jetting changes yet. I haven't ridden in about 3 weeks now...but will try to get out this weekend. I've kept the factory plug (change it after you break it in, trust me on this one), and I'm also going to continue using Golden Spectro, but this time at 40 or 50:1...and then I'll check the plug and make my next move from there. I've also added a PC pipe, FRP torque ring, and FRP front springs...so i'll see how everything comes together this weekend...Anyway, make sure you read as threads as you can if you're just getting back into riding man. I used to do alot of my own wrenching without a manual back in the day...but it's just not like that anymore. Canyncarvr has a good point about the AS/pilot screw...I think it'll make a difference if it comes down to that...by the way Doug, i wasn't clear if you had performed any mods yet?

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
Haven't made any mods yet, but wanted to put a hotter plug in since it is bogging a bit and the factory plugged looked a little black.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There's some going astray here. If that's the way you wanna go...have fun, but there is a basic error in the process.

The answer to 'plug looked ...black' is not to 'put a hotter plug in..', other issues not being addressed first.

Not seeing any recognition of CDave's site kinda makes me wonder of the virtue/use of a second attempt in this case...but the answers to your questions are there.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Doug, I agree with canyncarvr. As I mentioned earlier I kinda had the same problem too...please see my threat/post from April 7--titled "Hot or Cold...you make the call." You also need to definitely go to the JUSTKDX site and read about jetting, carb's etc and everything else....It will give you alot insight into what's going on . I certainly would not go with the hotter plug until you've checked other issues. My last bike's were a Honda CR 250 and a Maico 360, so yeah I'm not expecting the same type of brute torque power from the KDX 200 like I did with the other 2 bikes...but once you fine tune and dial your bike been as suggested in this forum and the JUSTKDX site your bike will respond like a champ. It'll behoove you to read as much as you can in this forum ...I read as much as I could in this forum and the JUSTKDX site before I started doing anything to my bike...Check it out Doug--you'll be glad you did. By the way, Canyncarvr, thanks man--your input to this forum is invaluable!!

macauley

Mar 17, 2003
Can you send me the thread. I can't find it? Thanks,
doug

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
As CC says.... the Air screw is very important in tuning your bike.... it makes up for differences in air temp and also can stop a lean bog situation. I have learned to listen to CC when he has something to say...... :)

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Doug,
For some reason I can't send that thread...All you have to do is go the bottom right hand of the forum...it will say 'last day'...click the arrow and it will give you a list of how many days you want to go back...click on 30 days and then just use the scroll <<>> feature until you get to April 7....and you'll find the hot or cold thread...

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…