PigGutts

Jan 13, 2003
I recently bought a KDX200 From A Guy Down The Street, The Bike Was 450.00 So Thats A Deal I Couldnt Pass Up. Seemed To Ride Nice While I Was On It, Idled Fine And Rode Like Air, But Like In A Bad Movie, I Got It Home, And The Tire Went Flat, And It Seemed As If It Was Having Trouble Going Into Neutral...Now I Dont Know If It Was Because The Tire Was Flat, That It Was Having Trouble Rolling, Or What, But Anyways Heres My questions....
To Basicly Make The Bike In 100% Great Running Condition, What Should I Do....( Should i Change The Plug, Oil, Air Filter, Grease The Axle, And Chain)....Or Should I Let Some Stuff Slip. And With the KDX Do You Mix Oil Beings Its 2 Stroke? The Plastic Resivor Tank Left Side Of The Bike Near Seat, Should Contain Oil? Or Water?..., Right Now Its Filled With Mudd And Water, So I Didnt Run It After I Seen That....Thanks Guys, Joshua

kdxmadman04

Mar 9, 2003
the resevior on the right is for 50/50 antifreeze and water and you should mix it high octane 92 with oil 32/1 mixturei would definitly take good care of it cuz those bikes run forever they are great and have torquey motors what year is it
???

mcoker

Mar 18, 2003
If I were you, I'd take it to a shop and have them give it a tune-up. If you don't want to take it to a shop, I'd drain and clean the gas tank, change the oil... a couple of times, flush the coolant, clean your carb & fuel hoses, clean & oil the air filter, lube the chain, replace the plug and that tire. Probably other stuff, but I'd need to look at it. What year is it?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
PigGutts, you scare when you say "let some stuff slip". If something needs to be fixed, cleaned, lubed or replaced, do it now. The KDX will last a long time. Right now, my 1980 KDX175 is my favorite. You may have some extra work to do now, because the prior owner was not diligent with the maintenance, but you will reap the rewards when it is still a reliable bike 5-10 years from now. This is a great source for specific information, but it is hard to tell you what to fix first. You got a good deal on a good bike, but you need to apply some elbow grease to get the full enjoyment from your investment.

Good Luck,

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
PLEASE do yourself a great service and read the FAQ at the top of the KDX forum. Read EVERYTHING!

PigGutts

Jan 13, 2003
OK, Thanks Guys!
Wow There Is A Lot Of Help On This Site! >=0)
I Just Recently Cleaned The Res\ And Flushed The Gas Tank...
Had The Carb Cleaned And Serviced, And Gave The Bike A Bath.
I Put New Anti Freeze In, And Now Im Gonna Go From There.
I Have To Put It In The Shop To Get A New Tire, So When I Go To
Do That, Im Going To Pay The Extra Bit, And Get It Looked Over,
And Get A Tune Up. Thank You Guys For All Your Help On This.
Im Also Glad To Hear That I Picked Up A Reliable Bike, Considering
Im Coming From A Honda MT 250 73' Which Is Over All Nice, But
What A Bumpy Ride. As For The Year Of The Bike, I Dont Know. I
Only Have The Vin #.... I Was Looking At The Fork, And From Where This Guy Wrecked, Its All Messed Up....(The Bikes Been Serviced, And Fixed, That Was Just A Battle Scar) ........ This Is Coming From A Redneck Hick Who Bought It At A Auction I Believe In VA.....
Oh Well...Thanks Gentlemen, Hope To Be On The Trails Soon Enough!
Thanks Again, Joshua

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
Hey PigGutts,
Where in Baltimore are you? I am from Baltimore as well, but live in Silver Spring now. Where do you ride? Been looking or some new riding budz, we should catch up for a ride, trade riding spots. I could look at your bike and give you my assessment as well. Let me know... let's RIDE! Welcome!

-Sterling

PigGutts

Jan 13, 2003
Thanks Wibbly, Couldnt Get The Site To Work Yet....It Said Its Not Responding, But Thats Probably Because Of The Rain....And Sterling, I Live Not To Far From You Bud, I Live Belair, And Erdman.....I Live In The Ghetto! Ekkkkk ........ But Its Cool Tho, My Grandparents Have 130- Acres Down Eastern Shore, So I Hope To Be Ripping Tracks Up There Soon. I Havent Really Had A Chance To Ride, Beings This Is My First "Real Bike".
I Mean, I Have That Vintage Bike, But I Never Actually Had That Running Right, And I Never Really Wanted To Take That Out.... lol
It'd Be Greatly Appreciated If You'd Take A Look At My Bike, And It Would Be Great To Have Another Riding Buddy... Currently I Have A Friend Who Has A 89'CR250 Whos Been Waiting For Me To Get A Bike, So He Had Someone To Ride With, And I Have Another Older Gentlemen I Know From Work Who Would Ride. Give Me A Email If Your Interested In Riding If I Get This Worked Out. Joshua
[email protected]

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
canyncarvr,

It Took Me A While But Now I Know What You Refering To In Your Above Post. Seems Like An Awful Amount Of Work.

ChuckyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 2, 2002
PigGutts - How on earth do you type like that? I bet you'd find that you can type ALOT faster if you don't cap every word! JK! Really though, is that some sort of hack or utility or something?

Hey CC - I spotted a couple. Re-read his first post...first sentence. Gotta get some Advil!

Later,
Chuck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Chucky:
I figured the first few words were 'missed' 'cuz the choke hadn't come off, yet!

..but there is the 'i' later. Just a hiccup! ;)

PG:
Don't overlook RV6's note regarding the FAQ at the top of this board. Also, DO check out the 'Every kdx rider should read...' that's stuck to the top of this board, too. CDaves justkdx website has tons of information that you need to read!

I'm sure there is plenty of work on the bike to be done. Work that it AND you as the rider would benefit from greatly.

PigGutts

Jan 13, 2003
And To Reply To You Guys About Me Cap's All My Letters.......Its Force Of Habit. I Have Six Fingers On My Left Hand And It Finds It Natural To Apply Pressure As I Type... Thats Why I Cap Each Letter!

Nawwwwwwww Just Kidding, I Dont Know Why I Do It, And I Type Fast Enough lol. Im Gonna Read About The KDX And Get As Much Information On It As I Can. Also I Believe Im Going To Put It In A Shop And Let Them Get It Running 110% Excellent Condition, Atleast That Way I Know Its In Good Condition. Thank You Gentlemen For All Your Help On The Bike. Its Been Very Educational, And Hopefully I Got A Riding Buddy Outta All This LoL.
Thanks Again, Joshua

( I Gotta Upgrade And Pay The Money So I Can Sell Some Stuff LoL....Later)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not to rain on your parade, but you will NOT get it '110% Excellent Condition..' or even close by taking it to a shop to '..Let Them Get It Running..'.

So, this shop will:
  • Change your fork oil
  • Change your fork seals (and sliders/wipers other parts as required)
  • Set your fork oil to the proper level
  • Completely disassemble and service your rear suspension (unitrack)
  • Change the shock oil
  • Properly set the sag (shock) for your weight
  • Change the transmission fluid
  • Drain (and flush if necessary) the cooling system
  • Clean your bike spic-n-span
  • Lubricate the steering stem bearings
  • Check free-play in your wheel bearings (replace if necessary)
  • Rejet your bike
  • Clean the airfilter
  • Service (replace if necessary) the swingarm bearings.

IF you take your bike to a good shop and ask them to do something specific, you might just possibly come out ok.

That's not what you're asking.

No, the list isn't meant to be things that must be done right now. But all of them have to be done sooner or later, and the sooner the better.

I'm sure there are some that never lift a wrench on their bike...always take it to 'the shop'. If you are one of them, then......never mind. ;)

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Not Only That.  You'll Spend more At The Shop Than You Paid For The Bike If You Get All Of The Work Done.  Learn TO Do It Yourself.  You'll Be More in Tune With What's Wrong With Your Bike Too.

:laugh: Typing That Was Fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom