woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Guys: My 91 KDX250 makes a squealing noise just as the clutch engages. With the noise is a "grabbyness" in the clutch feel. I changed the oil about 300 miles ago and the noise has gotten worse since that time. I am using 15w40 weight oil as it has been fairly hot here. It almost sounds like a metallic clutch chatter noise. It is stock and has never had the clutch replaced - will I find all steel plates if I open it up or will I find steel/fiber plates? If they are all steel does this "noise" sound like a familiar item/maybe I am using the wrong oil?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Woodsy

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
They are steel and fiber plates stacked like most any MX clutch.

First thing is dont use that oil. 10-30 or 10-40 is specified. The heavier oil is NOT needed. You may be making things worst since the heavier oil will flow slower and may be the cause of your problems. Really though, if you want to run a better fluid, get some honda HP tranny fluid. Also the redline synthetic ATF seems the same. Seems that a lot of people have had good luck with the Type F atf also in the KDX trannies.

Second, inspect the clutch. I am thinking you are going to find a lot of worn and grooved disc in there. Replace and repair what you need. Be sure to buy a new clutch cable also and adjust the play properly.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks guys!
Woodsy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom