Kdx250 Is Driving Me Crazy!!!!!!

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
:bang: Ok guys when i bought this bike it cranked up on the first kick every single time, hot or cold didn't matter. A while back it started being contrary as hell wouldn't crank for nothing. So i then took the carb apart, took the float off, main and pilot jets cleand them w/ carb cleaner and re-assembled and it fired one time and now it wont start again after cleaning the carb about a month or 2 ago. I leaned the bike over to the side to make sure it was getting fuel to the carb from the tank and it was it overflowed the float bowl. Then tried kicking it again and nothing. So then i removed the spark plug and sprayed a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and it cranked and ran for a second but as soon as i gave it some throttle it just went boo boo and then died. So i am assuming i have another clogged carb? i just dont understand how it can clog up so quickly. AHHHHHH its driving me crazy. Any other ideas as to what it might be would be of great help.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
how much you want for it? hey gladetoride let me have first crack on this one k

prob. a complete flush of petcock carb and tank is in order

Where in AL are you in relation to atl ga?

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
Well i got a guy that offered me 1200 for it as it sittin but i wanna ride it one more time before i sell it. I'd take no less than 1100 for it. Im in birmingham if ur interested i can email u pictures if u send me your email addy.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
No thanks I thought the way you talked it was in need of work ex. 400 bucks or so

I do have a 96 xt350 that I would consider a trade.
this was'nt the one on birmingham craigs list about 2 months ago is it??

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
No i mean its ready to ride expect for a little part called fuel in the cylinder to make it fire haha. Everything else on the bike is ready to ride, new tires, new cables, bearings, grips, barkbusters. I would sell it, but i have fun riding it when it decides to run. I just cant figure out why or how it keeps clogging up because when i bought it the carb was incredibly sludged up and nasty and i completely cleand it and reassembled. And it sat for about a month and i went to fire it up yesterday and nothing. So im just at a loss.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'd say sell it for 1200 right now and get a kdx200 there is always one in the atl craigs list I got mine 98 for 700 bucks and it ran great from day one..there is a super clean one in there now a 2006 I think for 1700 bucks like new w/ big pics check it out

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, warped or cracked reeds can make a bike nearly impossible to cold start.

Sounds like your reeds have aged since you bought the bike.

Check your reeds, and if in doubt replace.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
If the bike sat for any length of time then the premix may have gummed up the pilot jet, resulting in a non-starting condition. I'd throw in a new plug just for grins.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
also run a compression check. Make sure you have enough to run. YOu may also have a crank seal out.

But clean the carb out again. And drain the gas when you are going to store the bike.

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
Thanks for the info guys. Well I've checked the compression and it went up to 165lbs and i quit kicking because i know thats more than enough to run. I've changed plugs and nothing. I sprayed a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and it fired and then when you give it throttle it dies so sounds like a fuel issue to me, I've checked the reeds and they look OK not perfect but in good enough shape to run fine. I just dont understand how it can gum up so quickly. Guess its time for a carb dissasemble.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Which plug are you using? Is it a new plug? What is the gap on it?

What was the temperature when you were able to kick start it easily? What is the temperature now?

Do you use the choke when you attempt to start it for the first time? Either way, how much throttle are you giving it when you are kicking it? After it does crank, how long do you allow the choke to stay on? How much throttle do you give it after it is running? Do you allow it to warm up some before you try to ride it? If so, how long?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but maybe it will give you the "1 answer" you are looking for.

Thanks.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Crimeidy26 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Well I've checked the compression and it went up to 165lbs and i quit kicking because i know thats more than enough to run. I've changed plugs and nothing. I sprayed a shot of starting fluid in the spark plug hole and it fired and then when you give it throttle it dies so sounds like a fuel issue to me, I've checked the reeds and they look OK not perfect but in good enough shape to run fine. I just dont understand how it can gum up so quickly. Guess its time for a carb dissasemble.

most likely it was never cleaned properly to start with. I have taken in a lot of jobs where people claimed to have cleaned the carbs. They just scrape the bowl a few times and throw it back in the bike wondering how it still does not work. YOu need to remove the carb, clean and use a wire to clean out all the jets. You are probably just better off getting new jets since they are cheap. Set the float level, remove the air screw and blow throw every passage in the carb.

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
glad2ride said:
Which plug are you using? Is it a new plug? What is the gap on it?

What was the temperature when you were able to kick start it easily? What is the temperature now?

Do you use the choke when you attempt to start it for the first time? Either way, how much throttle are you giving it when you are kicking it? After it does crank, how long do you allow the choke to stay on? How much throttle do you give it after it is running? Do you allow it to warm up some before you try to ride it? If so, how long?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but maybe it will give you the "1 answer" you are looking for.

The Plug is a brand new BR8ES. The temperature when it was runnin was about 70 and now its about 60-65. The choke knob doesn't work it wont stay in the UP position and i've never needed the choke before..I make a piece to hold the choke up and it just kills the bike, It's never needed the choke it will fire up and idle up when cold then idle back down to normal within a few seconds. I let the bike warm up for about a minute or so just a guess then i take off riding easy for the first few minutes then start riding it normal after it is good and warm. I've taken the carb off and removed the jets and scraped the bowl out and let it soak w/ carb cleaner and got a piece of wire and ran it through the jets to clean them. I guess the only thing i didn't do was take the air screw off and blow and clean that passage.
Thanks.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
How much compression do you have? PSI = ??

What is your pilot jet size = ?
What is your main jet size = ?

dont reply stock to any of that. thanks

Crimeidy26

Aug 6, 2008
Well Matt when i thought it could be compression i put my compression tester on there and kicked it and it went up to 165+PSI and i stopped kicking it b/c i ruled out possible low compression and the pilot jet is a 42 and main is a 160 which im pretty sure that it is stock so i know it is rich, but it has always ran fine when ridden. Right off idle during low rpm it is a little bogged down but as soon as i give it throttle it clears right up and runs fine. Can you take the carb down any further besides taking the slide and needle out and the main jets and the air screw? becuase i did that last time minus pulling the air screw and it fired up and sat for a month or so and isn't getting fuel past the carb any longer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom