Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
racerx

July 2, 2003

Kelly Smith set to ride Kawasaki thumper
Kelly's new ride: the KX250F

Racer X has learned that Michigan privateer Kelly Smith has signed a deal with Kawasaki to race their new KX250F next year. Smith told Racer X contributor Jim Kimball this afternoon about his first good break in a while.

"I signed a contract with Kawasaki to ride the four-stroke next year," said Smith over the phone. "I'm not exactly sure where it's going to be yet - maybe with the factory team, maybe with Pro Circuit - because the details still need to be worked out." When asked if he had ridden one of the new bikes, Kelly answered, "No, not yet, but I understand they have a few over here now, and I'm very anxious to ride try one!"

Plagued with numerous freak mechanicals over the past two years (like at Budds Creek three weeks ago when Smith was in a podium position until a rock hit his radiator hose and all the water ran out), this well-deserved ride could be just the break Kelly needs to get back up front. Look for more on Smith's new deal soon, right here on www.racerxill.com.

Glad to see Kelly get this break, I have watched him since he was an amateur and this kid has talent and heart. Hope he gives the Kawi a good ride :thumb:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Great news! I'm glad to hear him get another break as well. :thumb: Luck hasn't been on his side much after his factory Ktm deal. Look forward to seeing him out there!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Smith did great @ Redbud...it's funny how contracts affect results when they are made. Lusk's results have sucked since he was let go by Kawasaki. Does he have a ride?

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I know his cousin!!!!!

She is going to try to get me an autographed poster or jersey. I wonder if I should ask for any Yamaha stuff to keep for posterity. I'm glad he is getting a good deal. I'm just partial to Yamaha's!!! :confused:

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
He's on a four stroke thus it is with great regret that I must withdraw any support for Mr Smith. Best of luck but any success will be greated with mute silence..........Im old and I hate change......and I dont much like four strokes.....in my day they were good for paperweights and people who couldn't ride!!!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
..then it's not your damn day anymore, is it? :debil:

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I may be wrong but I think he's been on the YZ250F for a couple of years now...

Isn't that a four stroke???? And didn't he take third last week??

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yep.
ks1.jpg

borsy

May 17, 2000
I used to watch Kelly as a young 15 year kid doing 75 and 100 ft tripples
like they were nothing at a couple small northwestern Michigan tracks
Cadillac and Buckley sponsered by Bay Racing, I was there at the Silver
Dome in Pontiac when the last turn before the finish, Fonseca landed on him
and the hopes of his first victory came crashing down, you just felt for the young man. He is a very talented rider especially on 4-strokes, he was riding
Husberg's 500's at the age of 17 and could handle them very well, Hopefully
this is a break he needs to get him on a winning streak.

Top Bottom