Kick Starter Sticking in Down Position After Start

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
My son rides a TTR 125, every now and then the kick starter doesn't pop back up by itself after kicking the engine over. Anyone know what is going on?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
This happened on my WR. It was because the tab on the starter lever was not lineing up right with the tab on the foot peg. Plus the tab on the lever was half worn off from using to much leg and hitting the peg to hard. The starter lever was getting wedged inbetween the frame and the peg if I used any inward pressure on it. Check the alingment of the were stop tabs on the peg and the start lever, I used a section of black hearter hose on the kick start lever and covered it with heat shrink. It is wearing out but its cheaper than replacing the lever. If this is the case,
1, seek a half decent welder to weld a extension plate on the foot peg stop
2, try to tell him not to kick it so hard. I am still trying to learn step 2 :) .

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Thanks, but in this case nothing is catching the lever on the outside of the engine. Even when only 1/2 the way down it sticks. My initial thought was a faulty/gummed-up seal or weak return spring, but the bike is only 5 months old.

Any other thoughts?

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Hmmm, maybe the spring is not in ists little seat hole and flopping around. If the bike is only 5 monts old, take it to the dealer for warenty job or pull the side cover to investigate the spring. Dose it do that all the time or just some times?

Top Bottom