buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a kidney belt. I've been thinking about getting one for a while, but after this weekend, I KNOW I need one know. I'm pretty sure that they're pretty much all the same and they run down to personal preferance, but I'm interested to see if there are a couple that stand out as faves, or some that just plain suck.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Oooooops, I forgot. I'm also in the need for a large adult size. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd check anyway.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kevco-Stubbs is the only one worth considering IMO

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Just curious....

Why do you guys wear kidney belts? I wore one a couple of times as a teenager, but never noticed any benefit, so stopped.

Do your insides really get jostled about enough to get sore? Or is it for some additional puncture protection from bars, branches, etc?

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
The reason I want to get one is for lower back support. My biggest problem this weekend was getting slammed around from all the whoops. Right now, my lower back is so sore, along w/my upper thighs, that it hurts to get up off of the couch. One of my buddies had the same problem, so he got a kidney belt. It didn't completely cure it, but he said it made a very noticable difference.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I started riding with one about 13 years ago, and have never ridden without it since. I have used many different brands, currently use FOX, but agree the Kevco Stubbs is worth looking into.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by buffmaster
The reason I want to get one is for lower back support. My biggest problem this weekend was getting slammed around from all the whoops.
I guess I wouldn't have thought that an elastic band around your lower torso would alleviate lower back ache caused by whoops. <shrug>

My lower back was a little sore after a 75 mile trail ride with it's fair share of whoops, but I attributed that aching more to standing up and leaning forward than just whoops alone. :think:

Anybody else tell the difference when riding without one versus riding with one? If so, what type of riding do you do, and in what kind of terrain does it help?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Smit-Dog... a good belt does make a difference.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks... Just ordered a Kevco-Stubbs. Looks like MSR also sells a re-branded version of the K-S belt.

I guess a kidney belt did come in pretty handy for me one time. I wasn't wearing one, but when I broke my collarbone last year, the guys I was riding with took theirs off and used one as an arm sling, and the other to compress my arm against my body to help stabilize the broken bones.

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I think a kidney/back support belt is a must for any rider who likes to ride aggressively. I wear my Fox kidney belt around the house when cutting grass or other chores. My back feels so much better after rides or working. Another plus is that the belt makes us fat boys look a lot better too! LOL. Seriously, I think a kidney belt is as important as my Camelbak. I won't ride without them!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Back when I was 13-14 years old I used to wear one, but back then my bike only had about three or four inches of suspension, you really took a beating on that thing out in the desert.

But now 20 years or so later, and with 3 times as much suspension travel I have not been wearing one and have not felt the need as of yet. But then again I'm riding mostly woods around here.

I don't know if I could get one around my muscular beer belly anyway ;)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I actually wear a back saver belt when I ride. It's the same as a kidney belt with the double straps in the front.

Wouldn't ride without it.

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
i have the thor force kidney belt and ive just recovered from having dislocated vertabres in my back and i can notice a conciderable amount of support for your back, that little piece of plastic for the extra 10$ actually does its job quite well. it keeps your insides in place pretty good too.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I use a Fox blackbelt, it does help with the back aches a little, but what I noticed is I maintain a better riding posture while riding with it. Maybe I'm jsut strange, but it seems like a good thing.

Top Bottom