levi1864

Oct 27, 2005
Crashed a couple weeks ago in a creek, not totally submerged but might have gotten the wiring harness wet and kill switch was prob wet too??? Kept the bike running too... Anyway I noticed after the ride the kill switch no longer works. The headlight still works, I removed the taillight last fall due to another creek jump/crash (long story). I installed a spare kill switch this past weekend and traced wiring to the coil no apparent shorts/breaks... do you think I might need a new coil? It runs fine just can't kill it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
So is the bike still running right now? :)

Seriously, it may just be that the switch got some water in it and the contacts are corroded. You may check that out. Or did you already? You may have said that. Nevermind...my brain is dead after work today.

levi1864

Oct 27, 2005
JasonRan said:
So is the bike still running right now? :)

Seriously, it may just be that the switch got some water in it and the contacts are corroded. You may check that out. Or did you already? You may have said that. Nevermind...my brain is dead after work today.

bike runs great... just can't kill it. i have tested 2 switches both same result... I'm thinking new coil or wiring harness... :think:

Wudscrasher

Jan 17, 2006
My kill switch stopped working after replacing the bars. Apparently, one of the 2 wires inside the switch housing loosened from its metal contact. I reattached the tiny pulled wire and voila! Works fine. Something to consider before you tear into the harness.

-- CJ

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
My kill switch only works at low RPM, say less than 3000. This will be marvellous when the throttle jams and the clutch cable snaps. Anyone else have this problem? Will a new kill switch fix it?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Check he connections at the other end of the wires. The kill switch usually works by grounding out the coil or CDI. Pushing the button completes the ground circuit. Since the bike runs, I don't think it's the coil at fault.

Last edited:

strader

Nov 19, 2005
I used to have problems with mine. I cleaned it out with some electrical contact cleaner and it has worked fine since. You would be supprised how much dirt and grime finds it's way in there.

levi1864

Oct 27, 2005
FruDaddy said:
Check he connections at the other end of the wires. The kill switch usually works by grounding out the coil or CDI. Pushing the button completes the ground circuit. Since the bike runs, I don't think it's the coil at fault.

Thanks ... good point!

:clue:

Top Bottom