MX or SX?

MX........RC, DeCoster, Hannah, Ake Johnson, Bailey, Rick Johnson, S Everts
SX.........MC, Rick Johnson, Bailey, Ward, RC, Lechein,

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
In no order:

Joel Robert, DeCoster, Jobe, Mikkola, Everts, Smets, RC, MC, David Bailey, Ricky Johnson, Marty Smith, Hannah, Kent Howerton, Jeff Ward

Sorry, I can't put Pastrana in with those guys. Super talented, yes, "great rider" assuming that means races and wins... nope.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Pastrana has 0 wins in the 250 class. If you count his 125 wins, I still think he is closer to #199 than to #1 for all-time AMA wins.

Best MXers of all time:

RC

(big gap)

JMB, Decoster, Robert, Bailey, Hannah, Ward, R. Johnson, S. Everts, Smets, JBS

SX
MC
(big gap)
RC, JBS, Bailey, Hannah, JMB

MX and SX Honorable Mentions: Broc Glover and Jeff Stanton.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Okie, I have to agree with you on Joel; what an amazing talent! And the guy always looked spectacular on a motorcycle, even more so than Stewart, who is the flashiest, most exciting guy to watch today.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I'll give you Pastrana since you said "best rider" and not "best racer". He is one of the most naturally talented guys to ever swing a leg over a motorcycle, but he sure has trouble with the racing. Another guy who is a great rider who also never had a 250 win is Cooper. Also Bradshaw had a similar racing career to Pastrana but at least he got some wins in the 250's before he lost focus, and he raised the SX racing a notch with his style which I can't say for Pastrana.

I like seeing Jeff Ward on these lists, was amazing watching him at Washougal back when it was a 125/500 national, he was in another league on the open bikes at that time. Was about 88-89 when I started going to watch pro races.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Best Riders: Travis Pastrana, JBS, Windham, Bailey

Best Racers: RC, MC, Everts, RJ, Hannah, Stanton, Ward

I know TPs racing career didn't turn out to be what everybody wanted...but he is the most entertaining to watch ride...bar none.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
JMD said:
Okie, I have to agree with you on Joel; what an amazing talent!
There's a story from somewhere (may have even been on here) from a race where they didn't have a gate, so all the riders had to have their hand on top of their head, engine running, until the flag dropped, then they could grab the clutch and put it into gear and take off.

Joel never grabbed his clutch.

He clicked it into gear with a fistfull of throttle and managed to run through the gears to the first turn, on the back wheel, with his hand still on his head.

That, my friends, is talent.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
mxgirl118 said:
who are those people? :whoa:

Roger Decoster, Gerrit Wolsink, Brad Lakey, Malcolm Smith-Marty Smith, Hekki Mikkola, Joel Roberts, Ake Johnson

Pred, it was on motocross files. I think Roger said it.

I told you I was old
Dale

Last edited:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
RC, Roger De Coster and Joel Robert. Honorable mention to Jaroslav Falta from the Czech Republic who I hope to meet in a few weeks. I saw him ride in the seventies but never got the chance to meet him. In 1974 he won the world title, but was forced by the Soviets to abdicate to his Russian teammate Guennnady Moisseev. The Soviets did a lot of stuff like that back then, and had the power to get away with it. The official results from that year show Moiseev 1st, Falta 2nd. Falta was the only Eastern Block rider to ever win a championship, even though the records don't show it.

I am off to the MX training facility in the Czech Republic in a few weeks a very good friend and racing buddy runs the place, he knows Jaroslav and said he will try to get us together when I am there.

You would be suprised who shows up to train in the Czech Republic.
http://freefall2.smugmug.com/photos/31930086-M.jpg

Red Mamba

Feb 5, 2006
Jeff Mataesevich (someone help me with name spelling),

Damon Bradshaw,

L Ward,

Greg Albertyn,

John Dowd,

Ezra Lusk,

MC,

RC, :boss:

James Stewart(the future and present). :boss:

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
yeah iono who caught that but thats why i added tp cuz i said best rider all the other freestylers are bad racers. pastrana was alright i know he never does good but he wasnt a complete joke as a racer.

Halfast816

Mar 21, 2005
RC, Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster, The Hurricane (I want so bad to list him higher) Bailey. Most determined Hannah~RC (2 close to call) De Coster, Stanton, Barnett. RC is the only rider form the eighties on worth considering. The rest are just pretenders living in the BLING BLING world of todays MX and happy for being #2 and we all know what #2 is. The jury is still out on JBS.
Oh almost forgot the most spectacular wastes of talent Lechien, Pastrana, Bradshaw, Bayle.

Voxshall

Nov 23, 2005
My all time favourite is JMB, he was so smart taking inside lines and hitting doubles instead of triples and still passing people like they were standing still. He didn't really care about much, just looked so relaxed.

MC is the King

TP, JS, and RV are the most fun to watch these days.

Didn't see racing before 89 I'll have to get the racing on VHS.

Johnson, Stanton and RC looked to me like they worked really hard to be where they were, but I seem to go for natural talent riders over hard workers it's more superstar or rockstar or something.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
J.N. Roberts , LeRoy Miller, Al Baker , Malcolm Smith and of course John and Kookie

Mxrider26x

Apr 29, 2006
ok i will still deny him he hasnt done anything great yet and im sure if u asked me the same question in a few years id say a different answer but for now no hes not in the greatest of all time

Voxshall

Nov 23, 2005
Ricky Johnson thought JMB was really special and one of the best of all time. Just imagine JBS going balls out taking all his best lines and then someone smoothly zooming past him taking lines know one else even knew existed, thats what JMB did to Bradshaw and Stanton.

I also think he is one of the greatest because he didn't go over to the US and copy all the greats he had his own style, huge talent and he was the greatest thinker on a Supercross track I've ever seen to date.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom