KIPS Question...sorry to bring this up again!

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Hi All:
I know that this has been covered many times in the past and I'm sorry to bring it up again....

I'm relatively new here, perhaps someone could bring me up to speed on searching forum archives?

2 easy questions.....

Can the KIPS system be completely disassembled without pulling the cylinder apart?

How do I know if the KIPS needs a cleaning? My bike seems to run fine.

The bike is a 2001 KDX220R...KIPS has never been cleaned but the bike has less that 80 hours on it.

Thanks!
Chris

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
At 80 hours, you may as well take the jug off to replace the rings anyway. While your there you can take the KIPS apart and clean it too. You might want to look into a Wiesco piston also. Much better than the low grade OEM slug. Just my $.02

p.s. make sure you hold the rod firm when removing the "RIGHT HAND" theaded nut on the right side.

muddawg

Jan 26, 2005
Do you know if the govenor rod is supposed to be free of any play? Mine came with some free play. This also keeps the return spring from driving the valves all the way closed. If I time it so that the spring does close the valves all the way, the timing between the top gear relative to the double geared shaft is way off. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

kdxiowa

Aug 2, 2004
muddawg said:
Do you know if the govenor rod is supposed to be free of any play? Mine came with some free play. This also keeps the return spring from driving the valves all the way closed. If I time it so that the spring does close the valves all the way, the timing between the top gear relative to the double geared shaft is way off. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I'm hoping some of the KIPS guru's will chime in on this one. Is it rotational looseness or side to side looseness in the "G "rod?

muddawg

Jan 26, 2005
I am referring to rotational. If the spring does not close the valves, it seems like the effect would not be as it should. I have looked at all of the parts recently and everything is straight and looks good. I have searched for hours through the kips posts and don't quite find the answer.

Top Bottom