Mar 18, 2004
I disassembled my 02' 220's KIPS for the first time yesterday, at least since I have owned it. I bought the bike used and do not know service history, but it was spoogy in there. When I removed the bolt that holds in the little ball bearing, I did not find a spring in there. There was the bolt, the bearing, copper washer, etc., but I swear no spring. The little bearing was sitting nicely in the indentation at the tip of the bolt. Bike was running OK before disassembly. Is it likely the spring managed to escape without me seeing it (search of work area has been fruitless) or is it possible it could have operated OK without the spring (meaning previous owner lost it)?

Mar 18, 2004
Well, duh......I examined the bolt under a strong light and of course I found the spring sitting inside the bolt right where it belonged under the bearing. It was so gunked up that the spring simply had not come out of the bolt (I had not cleaned it yet). Now, my question is, should the spring naturally sit flush with the end of the bolt or should it extend above it? I want to be sure the spring is not worn out. I am unable to find any service dimension info on this spring in the manual.

Top Bottom