Duwvesmith

Dec 16, 2001
I ride with 2 guys who have the same problem. They are both internet illiterate and need me to ask their questions for them. Seriously, They both ride KLX 300's and both have shifting problems. They are getting false neutrals and hard shifting. One bike is a 97' which has been flogged and I sort of know why it might be shifting hard, but the other bike is a 00' and is very fresh.

What might cause the hard shifting and false neutrals? Is this a common problem with the KLX? Is there a cure?

I suggested 90 wt gear oil and sawdust :p

FlashBurn

Sep 3, 2001
It's a very common problem with that bike but also very easy to fix.The shift star needs to ground to make the valleys deeper and the spring tension needs to be increased.Stroker makes a shift kit that sells for about 70 bucks or you can remove and grind down the part yourselves.Check www.PlanetKLX.com and you will see what I'm talking about.I used BelRey 20w/50w synthetic blend oil in my KLX and had no hard shifting problems.:D

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
normally this is only a problem between 1st and second. i lowered the shift lever 1 spline, so it's easier to make a positive shift up into 2nd, and i also went 1 tooth smaller on the countershaft sprocket. now i pretty much don't use 1st gear except for the steepest and craziest hills, so i never have shifting problems anymore.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I'm an XR guy, with no experience with KLX's. Furthermore, I hate to start another oil debate. However, I have found that using a good 4-stroke motorcycle oil, rather than automotive type motor oils really helps to better lube the tranny and enables much smoother shifting. In my case, I use ProHonda GN4 (non-synthetic), and it was amazing the difference in the feel of shifting the first time I used it. After a 2 or 3 good rides, I can feel the shifting getting harder, so I know it's time to change the oil. Thumpers that use the same oil for the motor and tranny are able to break down the oil very quickly, especially with the added heat of aircooled XR's.

Tell your buddies to try a 4-stroke motorcycle oil if they don't already use it, and change it and the filter quite often. Otherwise, maybe you do have to grind on some of your tranny parts like mentioned above. Good luck.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
The star shifter mod is a breeze, 10 minutes with a grinder, a small piece of rod on the end of the spring and your shifting problems will be over.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I bought Strokers shift fix kit & my bike still hits false neutrals once in a while, usually when I really really don't want it to. I use Maxima 20w50 oil. I find that the false neutrals are between 1st-3rd on my bike.

Matt

Top Bottom