jodog

Jan 15, 2003
I was wandering what modifications other than exauhst and bars will lighten my Klx 4oo up so I can compare my bike's wieght with my buddies who all ride 2 stroke 250s

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Nothing you can possibly do will make your KLX comparable to a 2-Stroke 250 weightwise. The KLX was meant to be a trailbike and it would be best to leave it that way.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I didn't mean that last post to be derrogatory towards your bike, sorry if I came off like that. It is a great bike at what it was intended to do, I don't want you to waste time and money trying to make it something that it will never be. :)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Studboy is right.  You're talking about bikes with 40-50 lbs of difference.  I had my DRZ stripped and as light as I could get it without going full Titanium, and it was still HEAVY.  My 426 feels like a lightweight compared to the DRZ, and my 426 is still 15 lbs. heavier than a 250 2-stroke!

About all you can do is go with aftermarket exhaust, strip the lights, and yank the charcoal canister.  That might shave 8-10 lbs. off the bike.  Remember the DRZE/KLX weighs 262 lbs. dry.  A YZ426 weighs 231 dry, CRF450 weighs 225, and 250 2 stroke weighs roughly 215 lbs.  The DRZ/KLX 400 is heavy.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
CAL, "Never underestimate the power of a wheelie"...You've been watching Monster Garage haven't you? He he he. :)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Studboy
CAL, "Never underestimate the power of a wheelie"...You've been watching Monster Garage haven't you? He he he. :)

:) That's my favorite show! :laugh: 

B

biglou

For someone like me, that doesn't go big with the jumps, the DRZ400 was great! I spent a few dollars on mine, trying to make it moto-ready, too. Short of doing the USD forks, I did about all I could do to it. Couple of other things to do: If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the kick-only version instead of the E-start. That saves about 13 pounds right there. Also, pull the kickstand off. That will shave a pound or so. Replace the headlite assembly with a number plate from a 96-98 RM 125/250, and take the tail light assembly off. When I put mine back to stock to sell it, the weight difference was DRAMATIC!!! I couldn't believe how much heavier it felt.

For a bunch of squids that we are (my riding group), I was able to hang with anyone on the track, and I almost always got the holeshot doing starts. That bike pulls like a freight train! Check it out:

19516DRZYosh6-2.jpg

jodog

Jan 15, 2003
I Didn't intend for it to be a 250 I was just curious about ways to lower the wieght other than just exauhst and bars

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom