ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
I took my KLX to the Desert 100 this weekend as a buddy bike. It ran fine on Friday but Saturday morning my buddies said it wouldn't start.

When I tried to kick it, I felt incredible resistance and at one point the kickstarter wouldn't turn the motor over at all.

Any ideas?

------------------

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
The idle gear shaft sheared breaking off a piece of the case. Some damage to the clutch basket as well.

This sucks big time.

------------------

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
did the bike still have the stock kickstart idler gear? They are prone to fail without warning. Stroker makes a mint from selling superior replacement gears for the weak stock part. When you rebuild be sure and get the Stroker gear and you will avoid the problem. The idler gear is the first part anyone should buy for their KLX. I replaced it on all 3 of my KLX's

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

ultrachrome

Oct 25, 1999
The stock idler gear was perfect, no damage. It was the shaft that it rides on that snapped.

I am sort of at a loss as to what to do. I was going to sell the bike as soon as my Gas Gas got here (next week) and now I am looking at having to completely tear down the motor.

Do I buy a new right-side case? Can anybody recommend someone to take/ship the motor to? I am kind of lost.

------------------

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
that is another symptom of the stock idler gear because of excessive play between the shaft and gear causing the shaft to fail from the gear wobbling. Stroker is the acknowledged guru for the KLX but they are not cheap. the only other alternative is to sell the bike cheap and let someone else worry about the rebuild.you most likely will have to buy a new case half if you decide to repair it.

------------------
You weren't born knowing this stuff.

Top Bottom