rcers

Jan 17, 2001
The MRI results are in and Ive got a torn ACL and 2 tears in my miniscus.The doctor said if I was a young college ball player he would fix the ACL but since Im a 38yr old fat guy that just wants to keep acting like a kid on motorcyles, he is just going to fix the miniscus tears and fit me with knee braces.Down time with this repair should be 4-6 weeks.He said if Im not happy with the fix in 6 months that he will repair the ACL but I will have a down time of 6-9 months minimum.

Question? Do these down time numbers sound reasonable for these knee problems?How long were you(if similar problem) off your bike after surgery.

Ive been off my bike for almost a month already waiting to get into doctors and get MRI's scheduled.They still wont be able to do the surgery for a few more weeks.IM GOING NUTS!!!
THANKS rcers

DougMXer

Oct 17, 2001
Well I destroyed my right knee in Oct 01, waited 1 year for reconstructive surgery (still rode but no jumps) and then got the acl reconstructed and half my medial meniscus removed. You will be off the bike for at least 6 months, if you ride before this time you risk damaging the graft and ****ing your knee up even more. Good luck with the meniscus repair, if they can repair it successfully you are in the lucky 15%, most tears are only amendable to removal
Cheers Doug

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
I would recommend getting the ACL repaired also. If your knee is not held together properly I suspect that you will damage the cartilidge even more over time. I had mine reconstructed at about 33 (as a self doner) and it works great now. I also know many others that have had it done and it's really no big deal anymore

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
I don't understand why he would fix the meniscus tears and not fix the ACL tear---he is in there---why not do both? I would suggest a 2nd opinion. Sometimes they fix themselves, but not if you plan on continuing this type of activity. Sounds like he is out to line his pockets, not fix your knee. As for the 4-6 weeks for the recovery---I think that sounds light also. My knee injury was more severe (severed ACL/MCL/PCS and torn LCL/Meniscus and patella/tibia chips), so I am not positive, but I would definitely go for a 2nd opinion to be safe.

(P.S. You are not old)

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I agree - find another surgeon unless you're planning to quit riding. Braces can help, but you're really risking causing further damage to your knee by going without an ACL. You're not old yet!

Top Bottom