indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Hi,

Just curious can anyone give any good information regarding knee protection. I seem to have troubles with my knee twisting at times... Past injuries and such. I rarely wear any knee protection, however I am starting to strongly consider wearing it all the time.

Can anyone suggest a good knee guard that will not only protect the knees from impact but also protect the knee from movement and twisting.

Also any suggestions on knee braces? Wraps? Etc

Thanks
indi

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
it depends on what you want. some like the rs 7 or the sx02 cover the shin as well. some like the vision are mostly knee. and some others are just a knee pad and straps like the web.

but remember knee braces are expensive. they will help the knee from twisting but they are pretty expensive. a knee guard is just basically a pad and is a lot cheaper.

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Well doctor says I have a torn ACL...

2 options surgery or no surgery..

either way its gonna take a few weeks before I can walk again, im on cruches at the moment.. I wanna ride so bad...

I got a knee brace designed for acl injuries... and some crutches..

The pain is excrutiating however it dosent hurt as much as when I had my middle fingers tendon severed..

Worst part is the mobility issues and not being able to stand or straighten my leg out.

healing time is approx 2-3 weeks with a month or so of rehabilitation without surgery..

With surgery were talking many months of rehab.

Either way I am riding within the next week or so.. forget doctors orders... sucks that its my shifting leg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Check with someone who knows what they are talking about, but my impression was that knee braces helped prevent hyperextension and the movement of the lower leg out/in to the side, not that they prevented twisting.

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
indicaz said:
Well doctor says I have a torn ACL...

2 options surgery or no surgery..

either way its gonna take a few weeks before I can walk again, im on cruches at the moment.. I wanna ride so bad...

I got a knee brace designed for acl injuries... and some crutches..

The pain is excrutiating however it dosent hurt as much as when I had my middle fingers tendon severed..

Worst part is the mobility issues and not being able to stand or straighten my leg out.

healing time is approx 2-3 weeks with a month or so of rehabilitation without surgery..

With surgery were talking many months of rehab.

Either way I am riding within the next week or so.. forget doctors orders... sucks that its my shifting leg

+1 on the EVS line. I have the Vision series (pre-emptive design, for knees without prior problems)...

Do yourself a favor and strongly consider surgery. Most people in your situation later regret not 'fixing' the problem earlier. Obviously it's ultimately up to you, but don't disregard knee problems or they'll come back to bite you later.

In June, i suffered a Tibial Plateau break in my right knee along with a torn medial meniscus and ruptured ACL. Pretty good injury, I've been on crutches for almost 3 months now after a plate and screws were installed the day of the crash.

...the knee braces likely saved me from MUCH worse. All the damage was restricted to the front side of my knee and I suffered no lateral damage whatsoever. My knee brace ended up CRACKED!! That's how much energy it absorbed.

I would strongly recommend you look in to EVS' higher end braces like the Web or Asterisk. Disregarding your injury now could result in a much worse condition later...take care of your knees!!

EDIT: Just saw you got a knee brace...what did you end up going with? I'm in the process of trying to get my ins to pay for a custom job.

indicaz

Sep 8, 2007
Got a Asterisk for 599.00

:) My wife is hating me at the moment j/k

actually im still in pain and things hurt however Its not going to stop me from riding and as soon as my new health insurance kicks in LOL i think i will look into the surgery.

Im still not able to walk without crutches although I can put very minimal weight on the leg, I think I have about another week or so of recovery, if it dosent get better soon I may just have to go for the surgery.

In the meantime I am doing other things like changing out my plastics and doing some work on the bike.

thanks for your input!

CerkMX

Oct 8, 2006
indicaz said:
Got a Asterisk for 599.00

:) My wife is hating me at the moment j/k

actually im still in pain and things hurt however Its not going to stop me from riding and as soon as my new health insurance kicks in LOL i think i will look into the surgery.

Im still not able to walk without crutches although I can put very minimal weight on the leg, I think I have about another week or so of recovery, if it dosent get better soon I may just have to go for the surgery.

In the meantime I am doing other things like changing out my plastics and doing some work on the bike.

thanks for your input!

Hey no problem!

I'm getting very antsy at this point...been on crutches since June! so you can imagine the apprehension! :nod:

Hope all goes well for you, take good care of that injury. I find out if my ACL repair went ok after I get weight bearing...not knowing kind of sucks, we'll see.

Top Bottom