Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Yamaha have produced 250 of the 2-trac WR450. They will be for sale soon but at about twice the price of a normal WR450.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Yamaha ran theirs in the Dakar Rally and led the first couple stages in the muddy sections. When they got to the faster sections, the big bore bikes took over. Very impressive the way the 2W drive got through the mud.

cactusreid

Jan 13, 2003
Very Intresting!!!!! I remember when this stuff came around about 30 years ago. The idea is very good if they have enough technology(sp) to make it work this time. If I remember correctly it was Hodaka motorcycles that tried it the first time. They had a frt wheel drive using a chain and sprockets setup.

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i guess someone has already made two wheel drive bikes on road, shaft drive. i dont know who, but i am going to guess yamaha or honda. 2 wheel drive doesnt sound that much fun. i wonder is it rear wheel drive with front wheel assist?

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
The yamaha runs a hydraulic pump off the drive chain, so there is no high tech involved, it drives full time. Apparently they've fitted it to other bikes as well including an R1. It wasn't Hodaka that made the chain drive affair it was Rokon, and a decidedly odd beast it was.The KTM system looks verry similar to the yamaha setup, maybe they bought the technology off Ohlins. I guess they had plenty of time to look at the yamaha during Dakar pit stops anyway. The only problem I can see is the extra weight hanging off the front wheel.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
The Yamaha also won a desert stage in this years Dakar. It has also won other endurance races in previous years ar it was being developed. This version of two wheel drive has great potential. I think if KTM utilizes it on the 660's and above in the Dakar in would clean house.

Top Bottom