MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
I've got a '01 250 EXC, and after hearing about peoples good experience with the straight taper needles, I thought I'd try one to help tame the hit a bit in the tight trails. I put in a DCK-3, and had pinging/surging both low and high rpm. I moved the needle to the 4th groove (I didn't have any other jets with me) and that made it at least rideable, and smoothed the hit nicely. I'd like to try a DDJ or DDK, have them on order.
Can someone recommend what pilot and main jets might be used here with the DCK-3? Stock jetting at 70 F is 45 P, NOZG-3, and 175M and works well.
Thanks

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
Go to LT-racing.com. He does jetting kits for Gas Gas and really knows his jetting. If you give him your specs he can probably hook you up nicely.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
If you are pinging now - don't touch that pilot (at least not lower). Be sure you address the air screw also. I would bump to 180, considering your elevation. This should help the pinging a bit in the mid. Based on your results, my money in on the 'J' needle being the best.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
the air screw is at 1 1/2 turns out. I'll put it at 1 turn out, with the 180 main, and the DCK-3 and see how that works. Is it ok to turn the air screw less than 1 turn out, or just go up to the next size pilot instead?

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
50/50 race gas, and call me in the morning. Where ever the bike idles the best is where I would keep the air screw. Canadian Dave has an awesome description on how to set the air screw on a Keihin.

Last edited:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Don't know your altitude and temps but for reference I run a dck-2 or ddk-3 or dck-3 in my 01 250 with a 45 pilot and 178 main. Right now for tight woods and enduro use I run a dck-2 with a 45 pilot and 178 main and the air screw is a bit tight to reduce pinging on overrun. The temps are 60F or so and 100% race gas. I don't think I would recommend anything leaner.

If you want to reduce the pinging but don't want to run race gas try a dcj or a ddj, it won't be as clean but it will be less prone to pinging. The ddk is 1/2 clip leaner than the dck, ditto on the dck and ddj needles. I have run the ddk-3 with a 45 pilot and 178 main on pump gas but careful adjustment of the airscrew is benficial. With a little care you can sneak up on some clean lean jetting.

Hope that helps.

MotoEnduro

~SPONSOR~
Mar 11, 2001
fishhead, what is your altitude? I'm close to sea level here. I usually run 50/50 race gas, so I'll try your settings of 45P, DCK-3 and 178M this weekend. Its only a main jet larger than what I started out with. But I'll bring the 180 main with me just in case!
Thanks everyone for all the advice

Top Bottom