johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
Hello,

My 02 KTM 125 SX suspension is incredibly harsh. I plan on having it re-valved, but in the meantime, how should I adjust the clickers to try and soften landings? I've tried a few things, but it's still harsh.

Should I be increasing or decreasing compression? Should I be increasing or decreasing rebound?

Thanks!

John

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My 01 is setup 10 clicks out on the fork rebound, 7 clicks out on the fork reb.
Shock is 4 clicks out on reb but not sure about comp. I run fork oil 140mm from top and it's been revalved by FC but that was before I bought it. It's sprung for my weight (150lbs)

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
John,
How about some more information? Your weight, what type of riding you do, your level of riding experience?

I can't imagine that the fork would be "incredibly harsh" unless you're way under the target weight, or riding in terrain that wouldn't normally be found on a MX track.

You might also want to post this question in Jeremy Wilkey's section of the board.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
If it's mostly the forks that are harsh you should check the torque on the triple-clamps and make sure the front wheel/axle is centered properly. A video camera is very effective for determining problems for MX type riding.
Put up the info requested in the previous post and I'm sure you will get plenty of help.

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
hey Guys,

I am 6'0 tall and weigh about 165 with gear. I would say I am a novice motocrosser. I bought the bike new and was told it would be harsh for break-in, which it was.

I've noticed the harshness on basic jumps... Usually the terrain is dry and somewhat sandy, sometimes just hardpack. For example, if I don't clear the entire table top and land it the middle, it just hits so hard. I'm not really high in the air at all. My previous bike was a 2000 CR 125 and I didn't have to do a thing to it. It handled well and had great suspension. I feel like the KTM is sapping my confidence in terms of jumping.

Does this info help?

Thanks!

John

PS: on another note, why doesn't the board email me when someone responds to this thread? I selected the email notification option.... ??

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
John,

When you land short on these jumps, are you coming down flat, or possibly rear-wheel first?

Also, in my book there is a difference between "harsh" and "stiff". Your forks might be stiff during break-in, but that feeling should really go away after a short time. The suggestion about making sure everything is lined up correctly is also important. If your forks are binding because of improper set up, that could be a big part of the problem.

How is the bike in the turns? How does it feel on braking or accelleration bumps?Do you consider it to be harsh in those situations, also?

johnpace2

~SPONSOR~
Dec 5, 2000
The bike turns easily and otherwise rides fine to the best of my knowledge. I do trail ride it as well and it handles fine and doesn't give me any problems on the trails.

I usually land ok, not on the front or rear wheel.... Maybe it's just stiff.... It doesn't seem to have any plushness.... When I come up short or land on a table top it just hits really hard.... It can be scary. I have to hit the jump perfectly in order for it to feel ok. My CR used to perform well. It jumped well and it took jumps wonderfully. It gave me the confidence to ride faster.

The bike seems ok on braking bumps, etc. although I'm sure it could be better. I really only notice it on jumps.... And I don't even attempt triples or doubles.... Most of these jumps are small.

I did find the WP manuals and will follow the directions for softening the forks and shock. However, I've talked to many SX owners and they have commented that the 02 suspension needs a little work in order to function well. The front and rear revalve would cost me $300. I've had a long and great relationship with my local tuner and he has never sold me on anything I didn't need. However, I'd love not to spend $300, so I will check the items you guys mentioned, and adjust the clickers to soften it up.

I guess I was just under the impression that all 02 SX's had pretty harsh suspension... Are you guys finding differently? I thought the rags slamed the 125SX for it's suspension as well... Especially when compared to the YZ and RM. In any case...

Thanks for your help.

John

chrispmoto

Feb 5, 2002
I am a faster, taller, and heavier, rider than the average and I had my suspension revalved(front) and heavier springs (front and straight rate spring rear). With sags dialed in, this made the most amazing improvement imagianable. The suspension simply soaked up everything in my way! Independent Race Shop in Ca. did the work and they did great job

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
john pace i had the 01 125sx and found the same as you-i know the 02 is better but i dont believe its upto jap standards.A revalve is needed imo.

Hootna

Mar 14, 2002
I just got mine back from the suspension folks today, I had it revalved before I ever rode it as I had heard that it would be harsh and I hate having a negative feeling about a bike because it isnt set up correctly. Anyway after it was revalved I was really amazed at how plush the forks were and how they handled, very nice. I also own an 02 CR133 and it actually felt better, although I do have my CR setup for pure MX and it feeds back quite a bit to the rider. I returned the SX to my suspension folks (Aftershocks) and have had them stiffen it up since I was bottoming on some extreme hits.

Overall I am very happy with her, she definately has one heck of a motor!!! With that much grunt stock I am going to work on making the chasis as good as my CR, I only hope this is possible.

Top Bottom