KTM525exc - Locking up when trying to start

Revolution

Aug 28, 2007
First post and in need of some advice please. :bang:

A mate of mine has a 2003 KTM525exc and drowned it in a big water hole, did the correct procedure for getting it running again and carried on trail riding for the rest of the day.

When he got back home he did a couple of oil changes and put a new oiled air filter in.

Now he has been out a couple of times for runs and the bike has started to become impossible to turn over at times during start up, on the button and kickstart, having read alot of posts regarding the cam bearing failiures and decompession bolt problems I was wondering if this could be what is happening here, when he kicks it over it makes a mechanical click from the barrel/head area then locks up. :whoa:
I did the valve clearances for him ages ago and he said it ripped and felt really good, this was prior to him having a new camchain and piston rings fitted by a KTM dealer, now I am wondering if something has gone wrong with the build or maybe something has just let go.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris.
United Kingdom.

Revolution

Aug 28, 2007
Something else I have now found out is that if you pull in the decomp lever the engine will spin over fine, does that sound like a decomp assembly problem ???

Top Bottom