gooby

Nov 8, 2001
My friend just bought a new one.He's 35 and has ridden as a kid but always on bikes too tall,he's tip toe on the kx 100 if that tells you anything.He can ride but it's been 15 years and would have a 125 if he was taller.I have it here and i'm doing the general break in stuff for him.He will be doing woods and trails .Can anyone give me some info on this bike,jetting,suspension etc?Are they jetted fat stock,how to get better bottom end and what about stock gearing?My problem , this is the first i ever put my hands on one,i'm too big for it to tell what it might need.So riding it ,i can't tell a thing to work on suspension and handling (i'm having my neighbors son ride it around our yard to cycle it in).Btw he lives 30 miles away and in the city with no place to keep or ride it,why it's here. I'm just as lost for motor,jetting and gearing.Any help out there?Thanks

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ok i put a fatty and turbine core combo, and it gives it a little better pick up, a fatter mid range, and a lot more top end. i almost kept up with a banshee with it. it is a good bike for the woods. Shoulda baught mine, al ready for the woods :). anyways good luck with it, and i run a richer main witht eh needle a little leaner. runs good, the plugs are nice and brown.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
I posted this thread where i wanted it and thought i would have the most potential for feedback. Now it's moved to a forum for 50's and 80's?I was sent a pm which i can't read.I'de be just as happy if the info i need came from this forum but what was wrong with where it was?

KTM Shorty

Jun 20, 2002
My buddy is in the same situation. He is 5'2" and struggled with the taller bikes in the woods. He did a lot of research and set up his '03 KX 100 this way. Stock gearing and jetting. Pro circuit woods pipe, special order and not cheap ($300) but added much bottom and mid. He also put on a 10oz. Steahly flywheel weight which made the motor tractable for eastern tight rocky terrain. The suspension was a challenge. He ended up with Race Tech Gold valves and stiffer springs in the front and also revalved the back. Now it is ridable but still not perfect. Finally, if the ergonomics feel cramped, get the top tripple clamp from factory connection, which gives you a 10mm lift and a 5mm forward offset. This gave the bike a much "bigger feel".
Good Luck and I hope he has fun.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Wow, thanks ktmshorty sounds like some great info.Ya he's like 5'2 ,weighs maybe a buck30 soaking wet .He's been on it twice now and i told him to just chill right now.Break in the motor and let the suspenders work in and then we'll get going.My observations so far is it will for sure need more bottom end.Suspension it's too early to tell.A flywheel wt never occured to me,interesting.

As far as it fitting his size....perfect.He was ear to ear smiles when he could start,stop,pick it up and restart without help.Not dreding all the what if's of riding was a sweet change from his past.When bikes are broken or need service from my ride but don't wrench buds....they end up at my house ,any info he has on where best to find parts at the best price . His before/after the mods impressions,that would be great,thanks again dude.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by KTM Shorty
Finally, if the ergonomics feel cramped, get the top tripple clamp from factory connection, which gives you a 10mm lift and a 5mm forward offset. This gave the bike a much "bigger feel".

Not sure on the cost factor of this clamp but a set of Renthal #757 Mini Hi Bend bars will give the cockpit a ton more room as well. That is the bar we run on my sons KX80 and he is 5'5".

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
My wife has an '03 KX100. We had the dealership do some porting and shave the jug for more compression, added a Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor, and Boysen two stage reeds, then leaned the jetting 2 on the main, clip in the top (needle), down one on the pilot. This is for summer mountain riding. Probably go down one on the clip for the winter-desert, maybe even one on the main. Added a kickstand. Next is a pipe and a desert tank. I saw the previous reply about the Pro Circuit woods pipe....sounds like just the ticket!

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
Thanks all for the info,it's coming together now :).Hey sledman what kickstand did you put on?My friend would like one as well,thanks.

Top Bottom