BlwnEngineer

Nov 5, 2001
I have a 96' KX 250, that was raced in 96'. The BASE of the cylinder was milled .5mm, along with the drum valve bushings. It had a superlight single ring piston and a lightened rod. The crank was also lightened (rebalanced?). The head looks like it was worked on (still a dome), and two head gaskets were used (.008 in and .016 in) The transmission look brand new. The KIPS flapper valve and wedge have been removed. The exhaust port was raised and a new wedge setup was hand made to work in the cylinder.
The problem is there are pieces missing from the hand made wedge setup. Not to mention that the ends closest to the cylinder are burred.

My question is, what do I do? The piston is trash. The rod and crank are in great shape.
Should I get a stock 96 cylinder and start over?
Will the lightened rod and a stock piston vibrate, w/ the lightened crank?
Would a 98 or 99 cylinder fit, work, or be beneficial?
Why are 98-00 cylinders about $110 cheaper?(from Midwest Action Cycle)

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Sounds like a trainwreck to me! I'd be most worried about the lightened rod. Rods are case hardened, when they're polished down theres no more case hardening and guess what? They break real easy!
I suggest starting with a new cylinder and wedge valve parts. MAC has excellent mail-order prices because they're the biggest, oldest, and most organized OEM parts retailer.
Good luck

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Before you go to scope out some new cylinders, might want to check out ebay. I think they had a brand new 97' KX250 cylinder still in its original packaging. I think its up to 52.00 right now, heck you could score a deal on a new cylider!.....If it fits, that is.

BlwnEngineer

Nov 5, 2001
Thank you. I was kind of thinking along those lines as I was taking it apart.

Let me rephrase the question on price. A 96-97 cylinder cost $408.95, and a 98-00 cylinder cost $278.95. Why is that?
Can I use a 98-00 cylinder?
Would there be any benefit in using the newer(98-00) cylinder?
What about vibration from the lightened crankshaft?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Top Bottom