RUQWKNF27

Nov 25, 2009
I have a 95 model with a 540 big bore kit on it with a stk silencer . My question if I change it to say a FMF will it make the bike louder? any more power? will I have to re-jet if I do this? Now it has a Ty Davis front pipe with a Ty Davis 4.2 Gal tank and stk rear silencer! Anyone recomend a aftermarket silencer?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Generally silencers will offer only the slightest difference in power. Hardly enough to bother with. Best bet is to make sure your current silencer is clean and properly packed. BTW, louder does not mean better!

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
You would be surprised how much a difference a repacked silencer makes i saw a complete difference on my bikes.My packing was beat with carbon and the air holes where the packing wraps around were all closed so i opened them all and now my bikes are completely different.

Eddels509

Nov 16, 2009
i wouldn't really bother with buying a new one. just clean it repack it and ride. and originalrider what kind of gains did you see? low end high end? cause i'm in the middle of doing mine now and all the little breather holes were cloged except maybe the last two or three rows. And the fiber glass was soaked in oil. and how does the kx run with that 540 big bore kit? its probably sreams huh?

RUQWKNF27

Nov 25, 2009
Well as far as the big bore kit goes . Yes it has lots of power. This is the first dirtbike I have ever owned and as far as that goes ever rode!!! :ride: It is a monster for sure. In 3rd gear all you need is maybe 1/8th to 1/4" throttle and any more the front is in the air! The guy I bought it from said he prefers the factory pipe and that it is adequate. I just want something with a little bit more flash and maybe make the bike louder since I am surprised at how docile it is! Bike has a 06 Cr 450 front end with a Hydraulic clutch and 540 kit and I like it a lot its apretty neat bike. I am 6'4 230 and have a lot of respect for the power just need to learn to ride for now. I have been doing some research and it looks like slim pickens as far as silencers go for KX 500's other then a FMF.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
Eddels509 said:
i wouldn't really bother with buying a new one. just clean it repack it and ride. and originalrider what kind of gains did you see? low end high end? cause i'm in the middle of doing mine now and all the little breather holes were cloged except maybe the last two or three rows. And the fiber glass was soaked in oil. and how does the kx run with that 540 big bore kit? its probably sreams huh?
A pretty big gain threw out the mid range for the cr250.I saw a difference in the low end with the rm250.

Top Bottom