pitkin

May 26, 2004
I bought my son a 2000 KX65 after he was running the wheels off of his old XR70. The KX is way too much bike for him right now considering we are mainly into trail riding.
I am looking for suggestions on how to mellow out the bike some and make the power delivery more stable. I have already installed a 12 oz. flywheel weight.
I am going to be selling this thing if I can't get it more trail worthy.
Sure wish they still made the KDX80!
Steve

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
With the small tires that the KX65 has, the bike will never be "trail worthy".

If you are concerned about the manic power delivery, don't be. Your child will adjust to it, and crave MORE. I got my (then 8-year old) son a KX65 and thought to myself "what have I done". It only took a few weeks and Connor was on the pipe and loving the power.

If your child outgrew the power of the XR70, there isn't much else in that frame size. Our issue was that Connor started jumping his XR a lot and the frame just wasn't made for it. Everytime he landed he'd bottom-out the suspension. I had to get him a bike that suited his riding style.

The XR70 isn't a dream in the woods either, but the auto clutch does make it easier than the KX. If the clutch is an issue, you might want to find out if Rekluse will be making a auto clutch for the -65.

pitkin

May 26, 2004
I took the KX65 to a local dealer yesterday to sell on consignment. My son rode a JR80 and I almost couldn't get him off of it. The dealer didn't want to trade for the KX65 just yet even though I offered to write him a $400 check on the spot. I realize that the JR isn't a real performance bike but if the boy likes it that much, I have to think his enjoyment level will be much higher and that is all that is important. Maybe I can finish this '88 KDX80 I am rebuilding soon..........

brr

Jan 29, 2003
If pitkin's is gone I have one for sale. KX65/2000 with pro circuit pipe and one industries graphics.... cool bike. My son has out grown after 3 years of problem free riding. We too do all trail rides and this bike is a little much but he has learned to control the power.... of which it has more than one would ever need but comes in hand in the sand.

Top Bottom