DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
Has anyone plugged the oil level sight glass hole in the clutch case on a KX250? No more will I mess with this leaking little glass that has the potential of getting broken out on the trail. As often as I change the oil in my tranny I don’t need to know the level anyway. My KTM doesn’t even have one of these windows but a little level screw that I never remove. I usually measure the amount I need and put it in. Then measure it when I take it out to look for consumption. I can’t decide between welding in a piece of aluminum the size of the hole or taping the hole and putting in a recessed pipe plug. At least I think that case housing is aluminum. Has anyone done this? I’m gonna give it a try soon.

Dan

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I never have had a problem with the sight glass despite over 10 years of riding/racing KX and KDX's in MX, HS and enduro conditions.

I've read that the former team green baja team got rid of it. I don't remember if they used a custom clutch cover or just welded the stocker though. They were worried about the potential of breakage though I don't think they have ever experenced a failure.

good luck

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
And now for the rest of the story…..

Had an oil leak on this bike since I purchased it. Couldn’t seem to find it as it appeared to be coming from the oil drain plug. Many sealing attempts and gaskets later I finally figured it must be from the casing halves that aren’t fit together perfect and of course without a gasket. Always had the dirt/oil build up in and around the level glass. Washed it each time I rode and was no big deal. Went to remove the outer clutch housing to have a look at the plates and found one of my leak sources. When I pulled the longest bolt near the bottom the housing sleeve that the bolt fits through fell apart. Close examination showed there was no way to fix this sleeve. Further inspection showed the level glass seal to be leaking around the bottom. Not sure what happened to these two as I bought the bike used and this was the first time I had pulled the clutch cover. Ordered a new housing from the nearest Kawi dealer which is a three hour drive away. I was looking at my manual and the microfiche and asked repeatedly if the new housing would come with a new glass and seal. I was assured by their parts personnel that it would. It didn’t look like it to me but I figured they knew what they were talking about. Now I get to wait for three weeks to get my housing and of course when it shows up it has no level glass or seal in it. I tried to remove the glass and seal from the old casing and as soon as I tried to move the seal the glass shattered. By now I am entirely frustrated with this thing. I’m just not messing with this little thing anymore. I live remotely and I’m gonna fix this once and for all. No more arguing long distance on the telephone. Since I can’t seem to determine what this thing is made of I’ll locate a tap and bit, drill it out, and install a recessed aluminum plug. A little teflon tape and some lock tite and I’ll be finished with this. I’ll try to get some pics and such when I do it. At least let you know what size tap and bit I used.

Dan

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Sounds like you have a good plan. If you have a frind with a tig welder it would probably be simpler to just weld a peice of aluminum in place of the glass window.

good luck

Top Bottom