GWO

Jul 15, 2000
My son just turned 12 this week and he's tall for his age - 5'8" at 135 lbs and wears a 12 shoe. Last year was his first year racing mini enduros in the 9-11 age group. This comming year he wants to race 12-15 100cc and under. I don't want to put him on a 125 because I don't think he's ready for a 125 and the 12-15 open class (over 100cc) would be overwhelming. So, I want to "biggie" size his kx100 and I'm looking for some suggestions. Here's my current thoughts:

1) Taller seat foam
2) Triple clamp - move bars out over the front
3) Taller bars
4) Lower foot pegs (??)
5) Longer shift lever
6) Longer brake lever

What else can I do?

Also, who makes these products for the kx100?

Thanks,
GWO

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I in the same boat, my boy's 5'7 at 11 years old. He's on a KX85. I've added BRP triple clamps and bar mounts to move things up and out. The KX is tough because it's small even for an 85! We're going to end up putting him on a 125 very soon, the small size of the KX is really cramping him. He's riding my wife's KTM 200 and doesn't really even WANT to ride the KX any more.

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
A 125 is hardly different from an 80, im 13, 5'7, 105lb, an on a 02CR80, by september, i will be on a 03CR250, or 125. just get him a bigger bike, he will adapt very soon

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
I'm in the same process of upgrading a KX100. I'm ordering the CR High bend bars, looking for high seat foam, and plan to beef up the front and rear suspension. My son just turned 13. He is 5'8" and 115 pounds. ( Tall and Lanky). The triple clamps sound like another good idea. GWO sounds like your son rode the SETRA mini enduro series. This was my two boys first year riding this series. Its a great series and it is extremely competitive in the all age classes. My oldest son rode all the races and finished 5 th in points in the 12-15 up to 100 cc class . Thats why we are building up the 100 so he can compete in that class one more year. Sure he rides my 220 and 300 all the time, but to race at the level these kids do he is best with one more year on the 100. GOOD LUCK !!!!

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Thanks for the replies.

Wild Hare -- who makes the BRP triple clamps?

Eddiet -- yes, it is the setra mini series and like you said, it's very competitive just like the adult series :) Let me know if you find tall seat foam. I looked at the ceet web site and can't find any. Who else makes tall seat foams?

Thanks again...

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
BRP makes them! ;) You can find them at www.brpit.com. They have an ad in the June Dirt Rider on page 30. Moto sport outlet (.com)has an ad in the same mag on page 151 with a deal on Applied clamps and a Renthal Fat bar for the KX85/100 for 139.95! I don't know how much they move the bars but I'd look into it! :)

Last edited:

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Wild Hare -- thanks, the web site is what I wanted.

Eddiet -- I think I know you. Did we ride the Cherokee national together 2 years ago? We started way in the back and I was riding a KTM 300 exc. You also rode the Cherokee this year. We talked at this year's race and I found out you and a buddy went into business together?

Anyone else? What I would really like to find is some tall seat foam.

BTW, my wife took my son to the pediatrician yesterday, and the nurse says he's an even 5'9" -- I really need that seat foam. :o

Thanks,

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
GWO, This is our first year racing enduros. A buddy of mine (Mike Shealy) and the guys from the columbia enduro club got us hooked. They boys ran all the junior enduros and I rode 13 this year in the Senior C class. I rode the Kaw 220 at Cherokee (3 rd place) . A buddy suggested I carry the seat to an upholstry and trim shop. He said they can glue another layer of foam to the existing seat or cut new foam and then put a new cover on it. I'm going to check into it next week. Did you ride the 300 this year at Cherokee?

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Eddiet,

I rode my yz250 this year in the Vet C class. My first name is Glenn. I'll try and look you up at the races next year (assuming you're still hooked :) )

I also remeber talking to a guy at the mini enduro during the second race who rode a KDX and his son was racing with a friend named Travis. Was that you?

Last edited:

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
Thats me. My oldest som (Matthew) and his friend Travis will both be back in the up to 100 CC class next year. His dad and I are both trying to biggie size a KX100 and a CR80. These boys really start streching up at 12 to 13 years old. I still think it is best for them to stay in that class one more year. Racing a 125 or 200 as hard as these kids go may be just a little to much to soon. I remember riding with you at several of the races. You trophied at Cherokee didn't you? You attending the banquet? I'm going to check with the trim shop next week on the seat. I'll let you know what I find out.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I agree on keeping them in the under 100cc class. And please let me know how the trim shop works out for raising the seat height. Yea, that was me at Cherokee, I got 2nd. I don't know about the banquet because my calendar isn't settled for July. We'll see. Keep in touch.

Top Bottom