KX250... Could the druggy be right?

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
KX250... Could the druggy be right? EDIT: FIXED.

Hey guys,
Picked up a 92 KX250 for $550 yesterday... Needs a bit of work plus an unknown amount of additional work. Bought it from a druggy who probably wanted a fix (pretty normal for eastern KY... LOL) but the VIN does not come back as stolen and in spite of his claims that the bike needed "less than $100" of work to make it perfect I went there knowing what I was getting into... He claimed the coil was bad and that was why it wouldn't run... I kind of doubted this story and was planning to clean the carb, replace gear oil and coolant, new chain and sproket, new back tire, new rear wheel bearings, a fresh top end and give it a try... I got to thinking I might as well check for spark so that if it does need a coil I can get it in my parts order. I checked it and it read .5 ohm on the primary and about 8K on the secondary... I am thinking the secondary should be way higher? The thing is not producing a spark at all near as I can tell... Would a 8K secondary resistnce cause this?

I'm thinking the druggy may have been right at least about that part... Worth replacing even though I'm on a tight budget or is there something else I can try?

Thanks.

EDIT: Problem solved. Google, after some prodding revealed tht .5 ohm and 8000 ohm re close to correct values. A further test with benchtop power supply showed it to be working perfectly. I will leave this up in case someone else hs the same issue.

Last edited:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
Sound like the magneto or coil I would get him down less personally,not knowing how much money you could burn??I had 1993 Kx250 !good bike heaps of low end power!!If he's a druggy the ball is in your court.Give him 400 cash he will take it trust me!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…