Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Ok I did some searching, and it seems that I am just dumb when it comes to electrical stuff. I just got done rebuilding the bottom end on my 94' YZ125 (my girlfriend will be riding it). It needed a new stator because the person i bought it from lost it, and I got one off a said "running" bike on ebay.

Well first thing I wanted to do today, while I wait for the local MX store to open tomorrow (I need topend gaskets) is check to see if there is spark. So I put everything together, put the plug in the wire, rested the plug on the head and kick.....NOTHING!! No spark.

IDK how to chase this down, and I am not the best when it comes to wiring, so expalin in fine detail where to test what.

I did set my ohm meter thingymabob to 20k, inserted one lead to the spark plug wire, and the other to anywhere else on the coil (the red or black wire, and the ground looking blocks where the bolts go). It gave me a reading of 13.12 just about everywhere. Couldn't really get a reading on different ohm settings. Did I do it right?

What do I got to do. I need to see if its the stator, coil, or CDI

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Whats the cdi do??

Brandon H.

Mar 26, 2009
Ok I know most do the process of elimination to figure it out, but I can afford that. There must be ways to test atleast one thing to see if its working and help narrow it down.

I am not getting any spark at all. Remeber when I bought it that it wasn't a running bike.
I tried a new plug, nothing..... might I add the bike didn't run when I got it, it needed a stator (it was missing), which was $65 on ebay
I disconnected the kill switch...still no spark
Soo i have no idea if its a ground problem or a bad part, but any ways of testing anything will help. I am sure, with as many bikes that there are in the world, that there is way a rider can test these parts.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You can test every component with a multimeter and a service manual. The manual will show you how and give specs.

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
check the stator wire going to the cdi if it shows below 1 volt its bad but never put a meter on the spark from the coil because the volts will fry it

Top Bottom