KX250 very high idle with choke on-cold, help

thirtyfour

Oct 27, 2003
Hi,

just purchased this 2000 KX250 with hardly any use on it.
whne starting the bike cold, choke ON, no throttle.
It start on the first or second kick, then it revs to the moon, then it comes down slowly and after that it stay at a semi high idle with the choke ON.
once the choke is removed it idle just fine
other than that the bike does run supperb.

can any body shine some light on what could be the problem.

PS: the engine was never taken apart, it has great comression, all stock.

thanks

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
My '01 would do it too. I would just kick it, then reach right down and moderate the choke, about halfway out/in would keep the idle in-check.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
My '02 has done that as well. Took a look at the reeds and found one had a corner chipped away. I replaced the reeds and haven't had a problem since.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
The 2000 KX250 is notorious for breaking the lower reed down in the corner. I was having trouble starting my bike and got this tip from DRN. Checked my reeds and sure enough that was the problem.

You should check yours. If you find that's the problem let me know. I have an extra set of OEM reeds that I bought and then got the VForce.

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
I thought when you have chipped reeeds one of the signs is your bike is hard to start. Thirtyfour's bike starts first or second kick.

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
I'm trying to remember here how hard mine was to start. There were times when it took a few kicks but most of the time it started up fairly easily. With mine, when the bike was cold and choke on(i.e. first start of the day), as soon as it fired the engine just raced to the moon for a couple of seconds or so and then came down to a normal idle. I haven't had this problem since replacing the reeds. It's worth a look anyways..

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My 01 does it when first started, try upping the pilot like Marcus reccomended.. I lean my bike too the left too get some fuel in the carb also..
Rick

beefydog

Nov 7, 2003
I have an 03 KX250 and it does the exsact same thing. I put the next smaller pilot in it and that made it sometimes impossible to start, but it didnt scream, but I have it at stock now. I know how cringing that screamin sound can be, what I do is press the kill switch on and off to keep it from reving to high, even though it doesnt hurt it anyway.

joereitman

Jul 2, 2003
1 smaller pilot in the cold MI air seems a little lean... Glad you went back to stock. You could split the diff between the 2 pilots, to a degree, by using stock jet and turning out the air screw .5 to 1 turn, it seems.

Top Bottom