Leaking Fork

May 29, 2007
Hey guys, I have a leaking fork on my 87 KX500 are they expensive to have rebuilt? If it's not to much I'll have them both done.

psustang89

Jun 22, 2006
I had both forks on my RM250 rebuilt for $80 at a local track shop. That was about half of what a dealer wanted to charge, so shop around.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
They are pretty easy to do yourself... and there is a great tutorial on another site.. If you search on here, you may turn up a link to it.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Well my fork seals started to weep fluid and I pulled my dustseals off and sprayed all the dirt and grunk that was there with some brake clean, then took a film negative and worked all the way around the inside of the oil seal and it pulled quite a bit of gunk out and a big grain of sand. So far no leaking and im going to change out the oil this weekend.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN

Sometimes that works.. Depends on the age of the seals..

When I got this bike last fall, I was sure the seals were original. There was just a slight leak in one leg, so I went for it. It only took about 45 minutes to do, and they are as good as new.

Redrodent

Jul 31, 2002
So many brands. There has to be some stinkers out there. Who make the good seals? I think I saw some as cheap as $15 ?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Redrodent said:
So many brands. There has to be some stinkers out there. Who make the good seals? I think I saw some as cheap as $15 ?

I have MSR seals in my bike, they seem to be holding up pretty well..

And you can't go wrong with Race Tech.

But from what I've heard, and I don't know for sure, but I've been told that OEM are usually the best.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…