Leaky forks, but I have an idea...

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Would adding a small amount of brake fluid (1-2cc) to the fork oil help the forks from leaking? My mechanically adept uncle advised me to add a little brake fluid to my power steering fluid in my car to prevent it from leaking, and lo, it worked. He said it swells the o-rings. I was wondering if this would swell the fork seals enough to stop them from leaking. I'm not looking for a permanent fix, but I am tired of seeing a puddle of fluid under my tire every time I roll the bike out.

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
Im not sure if that will work. But perhaps I can help in a more direct way. Maybe your lower seals are dirty and it is causing the fluid to drain. Remove your forks and take off the dust covers, remove any greace between the dust covers and the seal, CAREFULLY, you dont want to push any more junk into the seal.

Buy some electrical spay cleaner, find a strip of picture negatives. Cut the negative at the end so it is oval shaped, take the sharp edges out.

Spay some of the electrical cleaner onto the seal to clean it out from the outside first. Then gently insert the negative between the seal and the fork, enough to get the negative passed the thickness of the seal, go in about an inch or so.

Spray some of the cleaner were you inserted the negative, now gently start to go in a circle motion around the whole seal and fork with the negative as you moderatley spay the cleaner. Do the process with the fork right side up as well. This will eliminate any dirt seperating the seal from the fork. Remove the negative and pump the forks, and do the whole process once more.

When you are done make sure you pack the space between the seal and the dust cover with greace. This will eliminate elements from entering the seal.

I hope this works for you. If this was the problem with the forks leaking it will become a permanent fix.

Good luck.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Sounds like work to me... As for electrical spray cleaner, would "Endust for Electronics" work? The reason I'm saying this, is because I'm at school and there's a bottle of the stuff 2-3 feet away. If that would work, I'm gonna swipe it...:p

Last edited:

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
lol
Read the instuctions on it. If you spay it, its kind of like a light alcohol substance that dry's by its self. Its used to clean internal computer parts, like a modem, video card etc. It sounds like the right stuff.

Its really not as hard as it sounds.

:debil: take it :debil:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by The Rock
Im not sure if that will work. But perhaps I can help in a more direct way. Maybe your lower seals are dirty and it is causing the fluid to drain. Remove your forks and take off the dust covers, remove any greace between the dust covers and the seal, CAREFULLY, you dont want to push any more junk into the seal.

Buy some electrical spay cleaner, find a strip of picture negatives. Cut the negative at the end so it is oval shaped, take the sharp edges out.

Spay some of the electrical cleaner onto the seal to clean it out from the outside first. Then gently insert the negative between the seal and the fork, enough to get the negative passed the thickness of the seal, go in about an inch or so.

Spray some of the cleaner were you inserted the negative, now gently start to go in a circle motion around the whole seal and fork with the negative as you moderatley spay the cleaner. Do the process with the fork right side up as well. This will eliminate any dirt seperating the seal from the fork. Remove the negative and pump the forks, and do the whole process once more.

When you are done make sure you pack the space between the seal and the dust cover with greace. This will eliminate elements from entering the seal.

I hope this works for you. If this was the problem with the forks leaking it will become a permanent fix.

Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed post on how to clean the seals. After the last TORO race (mud bath) my fork seals started to leak. I attempted to clean them using business cards, but it sounds like your method is better. I also need to pack the dust seals with some light grease. I like the idea of a water/dirt trap that goes beyond the wipers.

-jeffd

The Rock

Nov 25, 2001
Take it easy Gardener... I feel the same way about thievery... I dought hes taking it from a shelf (from school?)... I'm sure its some work shop were its generally used by who ever wants to. :D

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Relax, I didn't steal it. Yes I was (am) at school. Sorry Rock, but without my trusty 2-hunny, my top speed in sneakers is 3 mph. I woul never have gotten away.:ugg:

mcracer

Jul 14, 2001
I can tell you the film negative trick does work. Most of the fork seals I am asked to replace are O.K. the just have dirt up under the lip(s). I perform this as a regular part of servicing my bike and have not had a leak in quite some time.:)

pro-design

Nov 6, 2001
leaky forks

I have a idea , change your oil seals and you dust seals they come as a set for about $20.00. Everybobdies ideas never address the problem. Just removing dust seals and cleaning them give you very clean dust seals and mabe even fresh lemon smelling dust seals if you go with the end dust fix. However your forks are leaking because you have dirt or sand or a possible rip in the oil seal. By the way by adding brake fluid to any hydraulic component to stop leaking is pretty redneck. Brake fluid will swell the seals and will eventialy complety deteriot them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom