wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
'01 YZ426F. I changed my sprocket from aftermarket 48 to 51 and although my charts indicated both use 520x114, it's too short. In mad rush I bought three master links but am afraid it may not be safe. I want to ride tomorrow. Any informed opinions? Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
An extra master link together with a link of old chain will work fine.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
wannayz,
I'm curious what the 48t sprocket looked like. Did it show any signs of wear at all?
From what I'm reading, your chain probably was not sacked out but if there is any deforming at all on your original sprocket, then your chain has definately grown past spec. If that is the case, adding a new master link will be one way to ride right off, but it will definately wear and damage your new sprocket faster than if it were just the old chain in there. If there is any wear at all on your 48, change out the whole chain and front too.
If the old sprocket looks fine, then you are probably in good shape.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Well I didn't ride anyway. My 48th seems quite sharp/nice. There was so much play at one time in that chain that I have to go look again to see if it won't fit now that I've opened the chain, rather than trying to "ride' it onto the new sprocket.
Anyway, I just realized that I probably can't put two consecutive master links together as they are all post - I need that link of real chain for the masterlink posts to fit into. I don't have a spare link handy. Silly me!!
Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom