Lights don't work!

beefking

Subscriber
I haven't had my lights hooked up for a little while, but they haven't worked for about a year. I replaced all the wiring (old stuff was cracked + dirty) and checked all the bulbs, etc. They still don't work though. I haven't tested the lines for voltage, can't find my meter!

Maybe I need to get my stator re-wound, or get a new one? WHere should I start to check for problems?

Thanks for any help. :thumb:

Your lighting coil resistance on your lost meter should read from yellow to black wires 1.76-2.64 ohms. In this picture I have mine removed but it is not necessary in your case. This is from my '93 kdx so it should apply to you.
tom

Attachments

When I first got my bike I burned up 2 bulbs, and said enough of that. So I bought a Moose voltage regulator, because the 89's didn't come with them. Haven't had to replace a bulb since then. If you don't have one, get one.

I can check my service manual this weekend for voltage/resistance requirements, but what speedy said should work for 89's too. Sounds like the lighting coil is bad. A new high-output coil (70 watts) from dennis kirk is about $80. Might be a good investment, even if thats not your problem.

beefking

Subscriber
Nice....thanks for the help guys. I should be able to check it out this weekend at my dad's house, he has a few meters. I've wanted to get a new high output coil anyhow, so dennis kirk is looking pretty good now. THanks again. :thumb: