Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I know this is a dirtbike forum, but I know there are some guys who know computers.

I am installing Linux. Ubuntu 7.04 to be exact.

I put the live cd into my computer and it reads as "image checksum error, sorry...."

I've tried burning it at a slower speed, and burning it at a high speed. Yes I'm burning it as an image.

The same disc worked on my new computer, but not on my old. So, can anyone help?

Thanks.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
ill have to think back to my geek days..

the only experience i have had with linux has been live CD's. i tried about 5 different distro's and ubuntu was the one i liked.

when i finally got ubuntu installed it misread all of my partitions and used both of my hard drives and partitions to install on. i lost all of almost 300gb's of data. be careful when playing around with linux. install it on an older PC first.

as for your checksum error, the only thing i could suggest is using killdisk to completely erase the hard drive and try it then.

if you want a better answere go to the forums at www.ncix.com and search linux(you might need to make an account, but its worth it.)

May 9, 2006
Download a different image from a different source. It's corrupt. Or jsut order a CD from the website (its free; yes, shipping too).

And you mean install disk, right? The live cd will not let you install anything.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
You need to redownload the CD image you are burning.

Get it from a difference source as well.

The easiest way to install the newest version of Ubuntu is via the live cd.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
Moose said:
I know this is a dirtbike forum, but I know there are some guys who know computers.

I am installing Linux. Ubuntu 7.04 to be exact.

I put the live cd into my computer and it reads as "image checksum error, sorry...."

I've tried burning it at a slower speed, and burning it at a high speed. Yes I'm burning it as an image.

The same disc worked on my new computer, but not on my old. So, can anyone help?

Thanks.

It sounds to me as if your CD/DVD drive's BIOS does not like that brand of CDR.

Check to see if there is a firmware update available for the Drive.

It may also be a case of that particular system does not like the Debian flavor of linux.

I have about 12 different systems at my house and some love Debian, while others hate it, but love Mandriva or Suse...or even MEPIS.

That's due not to Linux per se, but to the component manufacturer's lack of support for Open Source.

Generally speaking, I only shop for hardware I know works with Linux.

If you cannot locate a firmware update for your equipment, try another distro and see if that works. I find that most of the Live CDs these days have mostly the same stuff on them.

Let us know how it turns out for ya!

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
sixds said:
ill have to think back to my geek days..

the only experience i have had with linux has been live CD's. i tried about 5 different distro's and ubuntu was the one i liked.

when i finally got ubuntu installed it misread all of my partitions and used both of my hard drives and partitions to install on. i lost all of almost 300gb's of data. be careful when playing around with linux. install it on an older PC first.

as for your checksum error, the only thing i could suggest is using killdisk to completely erase the hard drive and try it then.

if you want a better answere go to the forums at www.ncix.com and search linux(you might need to make an account, but its worth it.)

Sorry. but it does not "misread" your partitions. You must specify and then confirm which partition or partitions it uses before installation. You may have misunderstood which partition(s) it asked to be installed on, and then approved it in error. It happens...more often than people admit.

Most BIOS reads HDDs as HDD1, HDD2, HDD3 etc while Linux starts at 0. That throws off even the best of people.

I can't tell you the number of times I talked to someone who thought they installed it on one hard drive partition only to find out they installed it on the one prior to that...

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
When the CD starts booting it runs a "checksum" on certain important files.

A checksum is a way of verifying what was supposed to be written on the cd actually is. It's a bunch of math (XOR, ADD, SUB).

If the checksum "fails." You will get that message.

It means that what you burnt to the CD is corrupt / incorrect data.

Either the burner goofed up, or your download goofed up.

Top Bottom